advertisement

Cheap/small desk speakers

I'd like to use my Creek CA4040 for a desk system in a tiny 4ft x 4ft cubby hole that has been pressed into service as a mini home office. I'm thinking about picking up a secondhand pair of JBL Control 1s.

Are there any other speakers that might fit the bill? They should be small, cheap, sound good close to and be OK crammed on a shelf with files/books/junk.

I can appreciate you may be decided on using the Creek and Im not sure of your budget, but I'd seriously consider some little self powered monitors like the smallest KRK Rokit. Immensely convenient and very good results.

The JBLs are kindasorta OK. Tictchy Genelec would work even better, if you can find some for the right money.

I like the little genelecs, but I do think they are very marmite and in terms of little pro monitors are not necessarily well liked for listening for pleasure. KRK on the other hand tend to be the other end of pro and generally more enjoyable (plus they're a lot cheaper).

All proper monitors provide eq. It's there to be used, in fact it is crucial (as with NS-1000s). KRK would be fine, too. As would Edirol, Fostex, Blue Room etc.

Agree on that for sure. Aside the slightly different voicing, in terms of value for money and value per cubic cc that whole sector of good little active monitors is rather a revelation IMO.

I think the Missions will be a bit big.

I thought about powered monitors - it would save a bit of space and it's the obvious route to take for nearfield listening - but wasn't sure I'd get much for the amount I'm looking to spend. Thanks for the suggestions though - I know almost nothing about this kind of gear so it's all very welcome.

Paul, Check out Thomann to see what, if anything, fits your budget. You may be surprised. Speakers like Greg's suggested KRKs are remarkably reasonable.

Paul, I have a pair of diddy missions badged as denon. they sound superb for what they are- and looking for a new home too (7/10 condition). id be surprised if anything as small was much better tbh. pm me if of interest.

Trawl your local Theft Convertors, charity shops, ask here, you'll pull something decent up for virtually nothing. Diamonds/JBL/Kef, all these are worth a shot.

JPW mini monitors or gold monitors are very cheap on ebay and are quite small. Should be easy to place too, being an infinite baffle design.

I owned the JBL control 1s and thought they were a bit dull sounding.

Any of the small Denon speakers sold for their micro systems. The early ones, SC-M50, SC-M51, were made by Mission and are great. I currently use SC-M73s on my second (computer) system,

malcolm

p.s. there are quite a few pairs on eBay right now - search for 'denon speakers'

OK I'll scrub the JBLs off the list (unless I see a *really* cheap pair!).

I think even the cheaper semi-pro monitors are going to be more than I want to spend - I see if any used scruffy pairs come up.

Captain - many thanks for the offer. I'll hold off for now.

Thanks for the ideas folks. I'll keep an eye out and see what turns up.

P.S. Steve - I've never seen anything in our local Crack Converters except big 'white van' speakers and thrashed Jamos...

Old Mordaunt Short MS10s, or if space is really tight and bass/depth ain't an issue the miniature MS05s. I reckon Ebay £20+postage. I got mine for a fiver, local pick-up.

I picked up a pair of JPW Mini monitors for £1 recently. :)

The boxes and covers aren't immaculate (some scuffing overall and a little damage to one box corner, covers need a good clean but otherwise undamaged), but the drivers look fine and they work perfectly.

Paul, I have a pair of diddy missions badged as denon. they sound superb for what they are- and looking for a new home too (7/10 condition). id be surprised if anything as small was much better tbh. pm me if of interest.

I had (still have, but in loft awaiting house move) a pair of these which I used on a desk in my old flat. A while since I've heard them, but I remember them being very good in that application. Wont be getting rid of mine any time soon which I guess is a recommendation!

advertisement

Back