advertisement

Cheap NOS cassettes at Richer Sounds

Robert

Tapehead
Most new production tapes are shockingly poor so us tapeheads are forced to hunt down used tape or pay a premium for NOS.

Well Richer Sounds appear to have stumbled onto a warehouse full of what are effectively last production Maxell UR. It seems these were labelled specially as XV to be sold through Poundland/Poundstretcher.

Anyway, £2 gets you a pack of five, so get them while you can if you want a decent general purpose Maxell type 1.

https://www.richersounds.com/maxell-xv-c90.html

Video from Cassette Comeback (please subscribe and support him!):

Thanks, Robert. I still have a drawer full of NOS XLII, SA and Metals I bought from Stanley Productions about 15yrs ago but it's always good to have a stock of Type 1. :)

I recall a multiple cassette test in HFN news, many years ago, that included Woolworths cassettes.
They tested and sounded excellent, which came as a surprise to the HFN Reviewer.
It was later discovered that Woolworths was having them made by a major Japanese
manufacturer.
I bought a few and they indeed performed very well.
Wonder what happened to them ?
They’re probably in the loft...

When I had my Nakamichi serviced, I was told that it is a good idea to do the occasional record, as when the erase head is engaged, it will degauss itself; probably an important thing for people like me who only use the machine for playback! So a supply of cassettes is a good thing!

I got some a couple of weeks ago but didn't think there'd be any interest on here.

In a brief test it gave a good recording, as good as any other basic Type I, so if that's your bag then not to be sniffed at at the price. The J card is nafftastic though.

I recall a multiple cassette test in HFN news, many years ago, that included Woolworths cassettes.
They tested and sounded excellent, which came as a surprise to the HFN Reviewer.
It was later discovered that Woolworths was having them made by a major Japanese
manufacturer.
I bought a few and they indeed performed very well.
Wonder what happened to them ?
They’re probably in the loft...

I have hundreds of Woolworths, Boots etc type 1's which have been recorded on once and played back maybe once or twice (long story) and as you say they are fine and made by major manufacturers. When skint at one time I tried selling them for something like 50 for £20 and had no takers and no enquiries. I got the impression that unless it says "TDK" , "Maxell" etc on them then no one wants them! Even then it's usually the metal and chrome ones people want.
I have a TDK MAR cassette, the one with the alloy body, and they are bizarrely worth a small fortune.. like maybe £100 for 1 tape! Now't so queer as folk as they say...

Good spot. I just use my Nakamichi for playback but it may be worth stockpiling a few just in case.

have you tried the new ATR FOX C60 ?

The RTM Fox C60 and C90 are OK, about the level of a late-80s basic BASF, but less than a UR or D.
That makes them still superior to any other newly-made cassette.

The problem with Fox is that lately they seem to have converted to the same shell that ATR use, and that shell is pretty bad, unusable in some cases, with consistently uneven packing and tape squeal.

I'll post an update on my test pages within a couple of days.

https://audiochrome.blogspot.com/2019/02/cassette-tape-comparative-measurements_16.html

Looks like these Maxells have been snapped up now - Richer's website is saying the last few available in store.

advertisement

Back