advertisement

Cheap linn amps

Well its early days but you have to understand this is for my shed system, refinement is not really a thing nor is volume. It used to be my shed 3mx4m but over time my son took it over and I stopped using it, then covid hit! So we have split it down the middle with a wall, so my space is like 2x3m.

This amp is somewhat unnecessary but in my fair amount of time on this earth I know that more powahhh is better than less. To add to the story I also have a rel sub, thats being fed from the phono outputs on the smsl.

Firstly the dac is amazing, for what I paid, this thing is 90% of the way to stuff I have heard at multi thousands of pounds and the fact it has balanced and phono outputs both live at the same time is great.

The amp is heavy and start up is lovely nice and quiet, protection circuits in place until its all charged up, four large capacitors in there.

As for sound, its fantastic in this space for the limited time I have been using it. I wont be too loud in here any how, but lets put it this way the green signal lights barely come on at the volume I am working at. I am really pleased with it, but if you are consider giving it welly yo might need that fan plugged in and its not quiet.

It replaces a naim uniti thats gone to another system, and well it sounds much better than that.

Sound like a lot of fun garyi! What’s the silver DAC?

its an smsl something or other. Notable because it has those balanced outputs as well as phono so a sub can be used too.

Reactions: jay
Thanks. Yeah it certainly sounded interesting. That new amp will keep that 2x3 nice and warm over summer I imagine

OK so I got this instead :)

008eGmZEgy1gpobic5fuij30zk0qowou.jpg

I did not realise it has a noisy fan in it, so I did what any red blooded english man would and disconnected it. My feeling is the heat sink in it which is bloody huge will be just fine on the volumes I am working at, its only driving a pair of nSats.

And it sounds bloody awesome! Well spent hundred quid.

The little silver dac on the top is driving it, balanced outputs straight into the amp, who needs pres any more?

Love that power amp. For £100 I'd snap up one of those - if only for occasional party use (when rules allow of course... ;)).

advertisement

Back