advertisement

Cheap flat cable for rear loudspeaker duties

starbuck

pfm Member
I'm after some low cost flat (or thin at least) speaker cable to run to a pair of surround speakers, ideally thin enough to slip beneath the rug in the middle of the room so it wont be easily seen. It wont get a lot of foot traffic over where it will be going and I'll need a ~7.5m pair. It can be bare wire or terminated, either can be accommodated, I would just prefer not to spend much. I have found some 15awg flat Belkin stuff for about £16 a pair which looks like it will suit, though are there any other alternatives I should be looking at?

I'm after some low cost flat (or thin at least) speaker cable to run to a pair of surround speakers, ideally thin enough to slip beneath the rug in the middle of the room so it wont be easily seen. It wont get a lot of foot traffic over where it will be going and I'll need a ~7.5m pair. It can be bare wire or terminated, either can be accommodated, I would just prefer not to spend much. I have found some 15awg flat Belkin stuff for about £16 a pair which looks like it will suit, though are there any other alternatives I should be looking at?
Never had any issues with fisual pro.....it's relatively cheap and robust.

I'm using cable by the meter from the local hardware store meanwhile, similar kind they use for car hifi installations too. Cheap as chips and it just works.
I hear differences from different speakers and different amps even with the surrounds, use Klotz MC5000
with Neutriks NF2C-B/2 everywhere (simply bc I like their quality not bc I think they sound better)
I had used some exotic LS cables in the past and it was the surround installation when I ran out of it,
bc Center, Surrounds and Rears needed a lot of cable & wanted to get it finished & watch a movie.

That's when I used the hardware store type I had kicking around somewhere in a box..and it just worked perfectly.
From curiosity I later replaced my Van den Hul The Clearwater cable I had used for the Yamahas in stereo & FrontR FrontL by the same cheap hadware store cable just to see what happens.
Well, nothing happened..it sounded just the same as before.
I'd make sure it's a copper acble though, I've heard Amazon has some that's a bit fake-ish in haveing a good amount of copper coloured alloy in it..and I'd avoid such,
but the hardware stores imo have solid quality mostly.
(Edit: my post was aimed at a previous post by rugdoc? that has disappeared, now my answer looks a bit over-the-top & misplaced..)

Thanks for thereplies. I ended up buying some s/hand Gale Hyper-Latz due it being very cheap and only 2mm thick, and it seems to be doing the job nicely.

Thanks for thereplies. I ended up buying some s/hand Gale Hyper-Latz due it being very cheap and only 2mm thick, and it seems to be doing the job nicely.
The name suggests that it may be a Litz design in which case it needs to be used only with suitable amplifiers. You probably know this though. If however it's just conventional design, crack on. The long length will help too.

advertisement

Back