advertisement

cheap class d amp

Phew, not audio reasons then, why a good linear supply is not optimal.

Unless you think that high current capability / low output impedance and low noise are beneficial to sound quality.

Just curious why anyone would prefer a class D amp, but a linear power supply.

Because I like having a PSU that is 27x the volume of my power amps. I am easily amused.

Linn have been using switched mode power supplies very succesfully for over a decade. Properly implemented, they are not & never have been a problem.

Foo USB cables are still and will remain, foo. But don't worry, there are folks out there who know even less about this kind of thing than you do who will continue to buy the snake oil you are peddling.

Chris

Chris

As you know I'm fond of repeating: it's all about the implementation. Teddy Pardo's supplies are bog stock power bricks with elaborate filtering and regulation. Linn abandoned linear AC-DC for most of the range years ago. Whether there's any relation to that and the 'glassy' quality of their digital products, I couldn't tell you . . .

Tripath amps are close kin to switch-mode supplies: julf has a point when he says they 'go together'. Although in this instance two wrongs don't make a right! If you're going to award yourself conceptual brownie points for pairing a SMPS with a Tripath amp, it should have an order of magnitude less ripple than a common-or-garden power brick. A chip amp is so simple it can only be transparent: GIGO really applies.

It's never been truer than now that SMPS isn't necessarily a bogey word.

Prepare yourself for a shock . . . most our Q3 2014 computer audio products are going to ditch linear supplies. For the first time in a decade of development, we're now testing switching supplies that are practically as good. They need a bit of tidying up re: smoothing and radiated EM - and we'll still be using batteries for critical stages - but it's only a matter of time before the old adage of 'linear good, switching bad' will finally be put to rest.

I still find the best PSU for Tripath is DC direct, though.

Is one of these SMPS possible for a amptastic or can the std supply have a smoothing cap added and maybe some shielding?

Do the magnetic ring clamps offer any benefit?

Tripath amps are close kin to switch-mode supplies: julf has a point when he says they 'go together'. Although in this instance two wrongs don't make a right! If you're going to award yourself conceptual brownie points for pairing a SMPS with a Tripath amp, it should have an order of magnitude less ripple than a common-or-garden power brick. A chip amp is so simple it can only be transparent: GIGO really applies.

Item, I know you sell Tripath amps from KingRex - if you prefer DC into Class D have you then found a substantial SQ upgrade by hooking up their matching DC power supplies - for example plumbing in the KingRex Power Supply Unit into the KingRex T20U significantly improves the sound?

In fact if Class D is that transparent - and a decent power supply is hooked up - is this about as good as it get for domestic amplification with suitable loudspeakers?

In fact if Class D is that transparent - and a decent power supply is hooked up - is this about as good as it get for domestic amplification with suitable loudspeakers?

When i was looking for an amp the Class D was specced very differently.

Clipping was quoted as starting around an eighth of full power whereas the amps i eventually got run to half power with no clipping on dynamic material.

Not sure if you get that detail in the spec on the very low power amps but for me it really meant getting Class D rated at 4X the power to be comparable; still a cheap option though.

its already good!!! I'm going to go try it out on my mates PMC FB1's which are rated 90db sensitivity. So should be interesting to compare one with and one without a PSU.

advertisement

Back