advertisement

Cheap (but good) Phono Switch or DAC

Bigbobby666

pfm Member
Hi,

Recently i have bought a great little headphone amp the NJC Monitor 2, its an early version so doesn't have the analogue out option that the current model does. Now, as i use a DAC as my preamp (Musical Fidelity M1SDAC) i only get 1 analogue out from it, this goes to my power amp; so it means that if i want to use the headphone amp i need to take the phonos out of the power amp and put them into the headphone amp - not practical!

So i was wondering does anyone know of a high quality but cheap phono switch?

Or the other alternative is: i have digital outs on the DAC spare, so is there a cheap digital (optical/coaxial) to analogue convertor that i could use.

With either of the options SQ is of upmost importance.

Cheers
Rob.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QED-2-way-Tape-Switching-Unit-/161216393537

QED have made various things like this over the years, no direct experience, but QED are pretty reputable. I'd pick up a unit like this on eBay for (I imagine) not very much, open it up spray a bit of contact cleaner in the switches and flick them on and off a few dozen times as oxidation or gunk on the contacts is pretty much the only thing that can go wrong with something like this.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That one has a monitoring switch which is all you need, just ignore the record bits, though TBH they're just multipole switches, the 'direction' isn't really relevant so far as I can see.

Hi,

Recently i have bought a great little headphone amp the NJC Monitor 2, its an early version so doesn't have the analogue out option that the current model does. Now, as i use a DAC as my preamp (Musical Fidelity M1SDAC) i only get 1 analogue out from it, this goes to my power amp; so it means that if i want to use the headphone amp i need to take the phonos out of the power amp and put them into the headphone amp - not practical!

So i was wondering does anyone know of a high quality but cheap phono switch?

Depends what you mean by cheap, I had a similar requirement as I use my MDAC as a digital pre-amp, but I also want to use my analogue pre for my TT and AV sources...I got one of these for about £70, and it works very well, allowing me to switch between digital and analogue pre's into my power amps...

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/7240.html

Just saw this. Looks good! May solve my issue!

Thanks for the tip.

Works well, also gives you an additional micro jack input...should you need it

My only small quibble...it would have been nice to have both A & B outputs available, in order to bi-amp in parallel, instead I have to 'daisy chain' from one (A or B) output...;)

advertisement

Back