advertisement

Cheap but decent MC cartridge?

Theo

pfm Member
Hello all

My current carts need to be refurbished (one to Ortofon, and one to ESCo), and I'm looking for something to tide me over. It doesn't have to be new, but something around the £120-£150 would be ideal. What would you recommend I look for?

I had an Eroica for years. Not so good, really. The DL 103 is a much better cartridge in my opinion.

No MC will cost you £ 150, and a used one is not a safe bet: was it properly aligned? How many hours has it had?

There are nice MM cartridges under £ 200, however, with nice tip profiles.

Preferably: current phono stage is set up for MC operation, and I don't want to faff with it.

You'll need to get a cart which is close enough in spec to your other cart then or you'll end up faffing with it anyway. If you're getting two carts fixed, why not send them away one at a time? No need to buy another cart then.

It is possible to safely buy cartridges second-hand if you get the seller to take the cartridge for inspection at their local dealers. They should have a suitable microscope to check the wear.

I used to recommend Dynavectors as cheap MCs but they ain't cheap any more :(

Theo, I have an non modified Denon 103 and it works really well in the L-07D's own arm and at times it has made me question the cost difference between it and the similar to yours Ortofon's that I have / had in the SME V. Sounds even better via my TX103 SUT into the MM stage than into the MC stage of my pre amp.

I only paid £100 for mine new. Now about £200 new, but you should be able to pick up one S/H cheaper?
Jim

I must admit (like Mr Pig), that I don't understand why you are sending both cartridges off at the same time.

If it's to save on postage (?), I'm sure you've worked out that spending your allocated budget of £120-£150 on a 3rd cartridge, is far in excess of any postal costs!

Also the fact that you seem to have 'forgotten' about using your digital source (if both really do need to be refurbished at the same time), seems rather strange.

I think Mr Pig has the best solution for you .... send one and await its return before sending the other ...... really simple and very cost effective. Use the £120-150 to buy more records instead .... you really don't need a third cartridge!:)

advertisement

Back