advertisement

Cheap as chips DAC

Si74

pfm Member
My mate has no sound system. I have spare Yamaha AV amp? and some half decent speakers that I want to give him. It's supposedly for rear speakers but when the big system was down it proved more than listenable from my laptop thru a V-DAC (after I realised the volume was controlled from the laptop and a fright later).
I'm not donating him my V-DAC so any recommendations for a cheap dac that has usb in and phono outs?
Most of the cheap stuff on ebay appears not have usb in. The 12 quid one on my telly system works a treat but only has optical or coaxial inputs.

I have one of these that I used with a laptop as a portable system before switching to a Raspberry Pi/LMS setup.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My mate has no sound system. I have spare Yamaha AV amp? and some half decent speakers that I want to give him. It's supposedly for rear speakers but when the big system was down it proved more than listenable from my laptop thru a V-DAC (after I realised the volume was controlled from the laptop and a fright later).
I'm not donating him my V-DAC so any recommendations for a cheap dac that has usb in and phono outs?
Most of the cheap stuff on ebay appears not have usb in. The 12 quid one on my telly system works a treat but only has optical or coaxial inputs.

How cheap is cheap? The Topping D10 has USB in and can be had for £65 on Amazon.

My laptop is ok with a headphone out to RCA lead to an amp and speakers. Does your friend need separate DAC?

I get good results from a tablet to Bluetooth speaker too, remarkably good for next to nothing and no aggro.

Thanks for all the replies and offers. Have ordered a cable to take a feed from the laptops headphone output.
If this is no good, I'll probably try the Behringer thing Marchbanks suggested.

Here is a good choice, but mo USB:

Optical to RCA, Digital to Analog Audio Converter, Optical to Analog Converter with Remote, DAC Converter Support 192KHz/24bit with IR Remote Control, Optical Cable and Power Adapter (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKX8BV7/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

I also have a spare Topping D30 that I can send to your friend.
DimitryZ voted man most likely to send free stuff across the Atlantic 2019. Can't fault your generosity Dimitry.

advertisement

Back