advertisement

Cheap amplifier

Patrick Dixon

Imagineer
I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive integrated amplifier, <£150-ish

Must have a couple of line level inputs, and remote volume and input switching.

That seems to rule out most of the 'Amptastic type' solutions.

Secondhand is fine, so what do you reckon?

Thanks.

Naim Nait 3 (a little higher at around £200-£250)
Rega Brio 2000, superb, rhythmic amp £120- £140
Rotel RA-04 £80-£100 sort of a budget Naim 5i italic, naim has more slam, not much else by comparison.

Patrick,

You probably know but in case you don't, the Nait 3R is the integrated with a remote.

No R in the name, no remote.

Joe

Try calling Paul Green HiFi in Bath. They usually keep a supply of reasonably price trade in units.

Patrick,

You probably know but in case you don't, the Nait 3R is the integrated with a remote.

No R in the name, no remote.

Joe

Same with Brio

In case remote is neccesary/mandatory I came to think of the original Linn Majik-i amp
Bit soft thick veiled but bomp proof and musical satisfying in a budget setup, indeed more listenable and dynamic than amptastic etc.

Strangely enough I'm looking for the same on behalf of a friend.

Rotel 935BX, probably less than £100, one recently on popular auctions site with a BIN of the same. Classic stripped down, high volts, low watts, but not remote...

Arcam Alpha 6/7/8. The 6, especially, is a stonker - great phono stage, decent power, amazing timbre from solid state.

I doubt very much you'd find a Nait3R for less than £300 or so.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - please keep them coming. It's not for me, but I will pass the contenders on. I have a Brio R myself but I think it and a Nait 3R would be too expensive.

I suspect the remote is quite important as it will be used for TV sound as well as music. Speakers will probably be something like Royd Coniston Rs, or something similar size-wise.

You should be able to pick up an Alpha 6 for that money. Nice amp, decent amount of grunt.

Monitor Audio A100 - there were some of these at Richer Sounds at silly cheap pricing - I nearly bought one, even though I had no need for it. Digital and analogue inputs, remote, so I think it ticks all the boxes. A friend has one, and it sounds ok in his TV system at least.

JVC AX-R337 - little brother of AX-Z1010TN (I have both).

Hard to find in UK, but appear from time to time on Marktplaats (NL), often at very low prices (£30 - £45).

Yamaha A-S500, about £150. There was a review some time ago, I think just after it was launched where it was put up against some high-end Naim gear and performed very favourably. I had one for a while, a truly great amp. You might even be able to get a used A-S501 for that money now.

Yamaha A-S500, about £150. There was a review some time ago, I think just after it was launched where it was put up against some high-end Naim gear and performed very favourably. I had one for a while, a truly great amp. You might even be able to get a used A-S501 for that money now.

I have an AS501. Got it for under £200 during last year's Black Friday. It has a good built in dac and a decent basic MM phonostage. It is powerful and great sounding.A great bargain and I'm very happy with it.
Worth a listen.

advertisement

Back