advertisement

Charity shops ...

one of our local shops bundles up vinyl into 5s which typically contains one or two that would sell and three that would struggle, they price accordingly.

In Edinburgh Oxfam send any decent vinyl and CD's to their music shop in Stockbridge - that has a lot of nice stuff although isn't cheap. Their other charity shops tend to then only have the sort of tat vinyl that you can't give away.

My wife and I help out at our local community charity and after a jumble sale recently we ended up binning a load of records that were never ever going to sell.
It's the same in Leeds. The collectibles go to Headingley Oxfam for £20+ price tags and all the Readers Digest Wartime Favourites go to the 50p bins in outlying areas. CDs are now at the level where you can't give them away. There's a local shop doing 10 for £1, I kid you not. Sadly the quality has declined to a commensurate level, there are piles of unplayable junk that should just be binned. There was a recent Bob Dylan I looked at, but it was destroyed. In the end I gave up on the unequal struggle, even if I included "Sade's Greatest Hits" I couldn't get to 10 that were worth carrying home. I still need to trawl through my records, I bought a pile of jazz LPs from the estate of a neighbour, some are worth having, most not. Reader's Digest Best of Swing Jazz isn't going to be played at my place, but I suspect that the local charity shops will just chuck it in the box with everything else and there it will stay for years until they bin it. If that's its fate I may as well just harvest the inner sleeves and save them the trouble.

one of our local shops bundles up vinyl into 5s which typically contains one or two that would sell and three that would struggle, they price accordingly.
That's sensible. Back in the 90s Notting Hill Record and CD Exch used to do boxes like that, there might be the odd gem, mostly dross, but worth a punt if you were feeling adventurous.

An alternative for Jazz is Jazzhouse Records. They run a nice mail-order service and are very helpful. Buying and selling 2nd hand and new, Lps and Cds. Very helpful.

Almost all of the 'pre loved' jazz LPs I've bought from them can be de-clicked with about a 20 min scan though using Audacity and 'repair'.

An alternative for Jazz is Jazzhouse Records. They run a nice mail-order service and are very helpful. Buying and selling 2nd hand and new, Lps and Cds. Very helpful.
Though note that Alan recently sold the business to new owners and the prices of original 1950/60s pressings seem to have jumped. Nothing wrong with that - no reason at all why as record dealers they shouldn't charge the going rate for their stock - but I do rather miss scanning through the monthly mail out looking for bargains. Alan sold me an original Coltrane on Atlantic quite cheaply a few years back - only 'damage' being 'Alan Ross' written on the rear of the sleeve in faded biro : )

Yes. I've found the new owners pretty helpful. And I hope they leave the underlaying structure of their webpage lists as is. Easy to export as tab-seperated data and then do searches though using a spreadsheet! 8-] Lets me find things I'm after more quickly. Like Alan, they seem to be nice people.

advertisement

Back