advertisement

Charity shop regulars .........

There's usually a Thompson Twins LP or three, but rarely if ever anything by the Cocteau Twins.

... Ah, but it will be the 'bad' Thompson Twins LP, 'Into The Gap' as opposed to the 'good' ones, 'Set', and 'A Product of...'.

'Quick Step & Side Kick' makes a regular-ish appearance, and it was / is my favorite Twins Lp... this assumes that there is such a thing as a 'good' Thompson Twins album...

Other Charity Shop regulars around these parts are the complete works of Hall & Oats.

Martin.

Lots of unplayed classical in Brighton. The other week I got some Brahms that still had it's shrink-wrap cover intact. It was a 1980s album. I'd like to think it was bought by a well meaning relative for some kid with studs in their forehead 'oh, i've heard you like music, I got you this'

It would be interesting to know why these titles always come up, don't you think? Is it teenage record collections that were stuck in the loft when the teenagers left home and upgraded to CD? And the bagpipe music: elderly relatives, deceased? Are they records bought by people who don't really like music (hence the Top of the Pops compilations) and have an "easy come, easy go" attitude and regard it as disposable?

Here's a moral dilemma: What should you do if you find a rare and valuable record on sale for 50p in a charity shop? It's pretty uncommon these days as many charity shops are wise to this and put them on e-bay, but it does happen. Should you point out the true value or keep quiet and sell it on?

Damian

I would buy it and sell it on and keep the profit. Any guilt (highly unlikely) assuaged by theorising the money would have ended up in the deep pockets of some third world kleptocrat anyway. So in fact by not giving its full market value I would actually be doing some good.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Mantovani.

Always own up at the charity shop. It's chari'y!

Hard though, mostly I'd have no idea what a record is worth. OK - if a low numbered mint condition White Album cropped up I might just spot that one, or a first pressing DSOTM. A record nut friend keeps pointing out to me that some records I bought in the 90s are listed as £50-£100 in the latest guides. Weird stuff - like The White Stripes first album on vinyl. Must have been a short run. So I know about THREE valuable records! Yay me.

I just went in a charity shop on Camden Road that had 7 or 8 Montovani albums.

Who is Montovani and what does he want?

If you're ever in Ormskirk, the Oxfam shop is usually worth a look. Not long ago, they had several classical CDs with shrink wrap intact. I bought a Brahms myself, but haven't played it yet. I'd have no qualms about paying the price they asked for an item if it was worth a lot more. It's up to the vendor to fix the price. These places often charge over the odds for stuff anyway.

advertisement

Back