advertisement

Changing things for the fun of it.

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
I haven’t changed anything in my set-up for a while.

Very pleased with running two different turntables. Happy with the c.d. player, and moving the speakers by an inch still provides some thrill.

Last year I sorted out some headphones, and without spending £1000+ then I think that is that for some time to come.

I listen to vinyl far more than anything else, although since getting a better c.d. player it is more balanced in terms of media choice.

TT-A is a Heybrook TT2s (with cast alloy chassis) off-board Heed PSU, Origin Live Onyx (fixed head) with upgraded wiring. It has had an Ortofon 2m Black on it for years. It sounds good.
TT-B is a Sansui SR-525 direct drive with the original tone arm, which I think is a ‘knife edge.’
I have three running headshells, the Audio Technica AT-VM95ML being the best sound.
(out of interest - other carts. in headshells - AT VMN95C rewired to mono, and a Goldring 2100)

The plan is to remove the 2m and put it on a headshell to use on the Sansui and put a new AT-VM95ML on the Heybrook which has a fixed headshell tone arm.

This means I will be able to listen to one deck against the other, with the same cartridge (age difference natch)
Deck A is connected to an Arkless Turbo phono stage Deck B to an Arkless (pre turbo version)

I am interested to listen to the 2m on the Sansui D.D.
Same with the 95ML on the Heybrook.

Now I have a plan, the realisation will be when I can get in the right mood, and The Wife is available for lifting stuff/general reassurance/to “Ooh” and “Ahh” when after a few days a record gets played.

Sounds ace.

Do you faff for fun?

Yes.
Unfortunately though, sometimes too much faffing = not much fun....:(
My current attitude too.

I used to have three turntables connected and three others available - now one connected and no plans to change it.
I could faff around changing the position of the Valhalla power cable relative to the Tyr 2 and Frey 2, or the Valhalla BNC relative to the Tyr 2 BNC but listening to the music is more important to me.

I try to faff well within my capabilities, and the least effort and outlay the better.

I suppose in a way, my lack of electrical d.i.y. knowledge limits the faff potential.

Definitely not entangled in some loop of trying to reach some supposed perfection.

I play around with my speakers from time to time. Currently I’ve been enjoying my Wharfedale Diamond 2s in place of the LS/3/5as. Each has a similar internal volume but a different way of boosting bass, both valid. I prefer the Diamonds $5 tweeter!

I’m going to give the wee JPWs a turn next.

I really am quite into this ethos right now - recent house move being part of it.

My better half has nicknamed my room "The Lab" because of all the mysterious deliveries that go into it, and all the weird noises and swearing that come out of it.

Yup Tabs I certainly do.
I've been having a three way pre amp shoot out dynavector/ Musical Fidelity /cyrus Xvs. Which has been very instructive.
I also run a Linn Lp12, a Vpi HW19 with a rat rod Lenco in the works (as it has been for a year.... Duh!)
Hopefully I will get round to finishing the magneplanars soon.... I do miss them.

Used to faff much more when younger, always making changes and think I learned a little from that. Now I seem to have almost grown out of it and settled for the pleasures of listening without much system changing or tampering. Though having said that I recently bought a cheap old Arcam DVD player to use for CD and DVD Audio and am enthralled by what I'm hearing.

The plan is to remove the 2m and put it on a headshell to use on the Sansui and put a new AT-VM95ML on the Heybrook which has a fixed headshell tone arm.

Halfway there.
Got the 2m off, gosh those connecting wires look delicate, didn’t break anything. Break.
Attached 2m to a headshell and painstakingly attached the colour coded wires. I had attached wires that were far too long. This took ages.
Break

Took wires off. Attached shorter wires. Fiddly.
had to draw a schematic plan of everything because I kept getting lost.
Set overhang thing.
It looks straight to me… *squinting and bad eye closed.
tonearm parallel to the surface of a record - more squinting.

Playing a record with the 2m on the DD turntable now. Doesn’t sound ‘off.’

Not exactly fun, but it is fun now listening to everything, all at once.
Faff Rating - high, but didn’t involve longer than half a day.

Putting the audio technica on the other tone arm, will have to wait. There is such a thing as too much fun.

I am very boring with this aspect of hi-fi ownership these days, and not really into changing things around for the sake of it. Now I would rather get my system to where I want it sonically and then just listen to and enjoy music. When funds allow I upgrade and then leave alone again. Over recent years I would say the only tweaking I have done is with speaker positioning and that has mostly been following my move to a new home.

Halfway there.
Got the 2m off, gosh those connecting wires look delicate, didn’t break anything. Break.
Attached 2m to a headshell and painstakingly attached the colour coded wires. I had attached wires that were far too long. This took ages.
Break

Took wires off. Attached shorter wires. Fiddly.
had to draw a schematic plan of everything because I kept getting lost.
Set overhang thing.
It looks straight to me… *squinting and bad eye closed.
tonearm parallel to the surface of a record - more squinting.

Playing a record with the 2m on the DD turntable now. Doesn’t sound ‘off.’

Not exactly fun, but it is fun now listening to everything, all at once.
Faff Rating - high, but didn’t involve longer than half a day.

Putting the audio technica on the other tone arm, will have to wait. There is such a thing as too much fun.
I think that all posts should now carry a faff rating.

I think I have a fairly high faff rate.
4 spare pairs of speakers. 3 spare cd players.

Only 2 amps and one spare of speaker cables.

But plenty enough to be faffing with, swapping bits around.

advertisement

Back