advertisement

Changing Carts

Whaleblue

Southbound
OK, I've finally got the HiFi back up and running :)

But I still have the AT95E on the Gyro, and need to pluck up the courage to put the 2M Black I acquired a few weeks ago on the arm (Origin Live Alliance).

I know it should all be bleedin' obvious, but I'm approaching doing this with some trepidation so wish me luck as I'm planning to tackle it tonight!

I don't know your level of expertise, nor whether the Alliance has a detatchable headshell (in which case it's a doddle).

Pardon me if this is teaching grandma to suck eggs, but, assuming you don't suffer from Parkinson's or D.T.s,.........carefully detatch then re-attach cart.tags (with stylus guards on) with the correct (usually same) polarity...... affix to headshell with bolts (and nuts if requ'd) but don't tighten........put template/alignment gauge on platter and line up the stylus point in the cross or whatever, for correct overhang.......tighten bolts/nuts when you have this.......apply VTF (playing weight).....ensure arm is more or less horizontal (VTA) with stylus on a record.....add bias/anti-skating to suit (usually from half to full VTF).

The dodgy bit is getting the correct overhang, I find; Oh yes, finally check azimuth by plonking the cart. onto a small flat mirror on the platter; image should be vertically in line with the cart.

Good luck and no imbibing for courage !:D

Mike, thanks, a useful checklist. The Alliance is a one piece arm I think - though not even 100% sure on that, so think of me as a toddler rather than grandma...

What's an egg?

Well, swapped the cart at the weekend, and almost all good...

I believe all is correct:

Glass shelf absolutely level
Deck suspension set to keep platter level
Cart alignment checked carefully (using HiFi news test record template)
Arm parallel to record when down on record
Stylus force 1.5g per the manual (set with electronic gauge thing)
Anti skate set to keep the arm steady on the ungroved part of the test record

All seems OK when playing a record, but...

The problem is that getting the needle down at the start of the record without it skidding over to the start of the first track takes a great deal of care - more than I would imagine is normally required. The AT95E didn't suffer this issue, but had a downforce of 2g (all else largely the same).

Oh, one thing. In order to get the arm parallel when playing meant sticking an extra washer under the arm lift so that the needle cleared the record by a reasonable amount when in the up position. Perhaps there's a clue in that, but it all seems set correctly?

Any input appreciated!

Doesn't sound as though you've set the cart up properly.

I put the stylus on the record then start the platter and the stylus never moves from the first groove of the record.

Your check list seems ok. Just a couple of things.

You may need a touch more anti-skate, I don't believe in using a blank / smooth record surface myself. Best do this by ear.

Your new cartridge will need to losen up as well, so give a good 20-30 hours and then check vdf and anti skate again.

I'm not sure I understand the last bit about a washer, can you post a photo to illustrate?

Your check list seems ok. Just a couple of things.

You may need a touch more anti-skate, I don't believe in using a blank / smooth record surface myself. Best do this by ear.

Your new cartridge will need to losen up as well, so give a good 20-30 hours and then check vdf and anti skate again.

I'm not sure I understand the last bit about a washer, can you post a photo to illustrate?

Cart was bought secondhand from a fellow PFMer, with 50ish hours on it.

The washer is added with an existing one under the arm lift - so of no relevance once the arm is lowered. Without it the needle barely leaves the record when the arm is raised. Can post a pic with a little effort if really needed to understand what I gibbering about.

Yup, if I do that it happily tracks.

It's only if I lower the stylus without great care that it skids.

Well if the record sounds good I wouldn't worry too much but certainly wouldn't be throwing that stylus/cart down on a record while the record is moving.

Ok, think I get the 'gibbering';)

Usually there is a tiny allen grub screw which holds the arm lift barrel in place. If loosened you should be able to adjust lift height and engagement with arm.

Has cartridge been stored anywhere cool? Even a s/h cart needs to 'warm' up.

...You may need a touch more anti-skate, I don't believe in using a blank / smooth record surface myself. Best do this by ear.
In theory that should never work since the forces generated on that flat surface are not the same as those generated by the actual groove. Probably gives a rough approximation though.

Steve

Ok, think I get the 'gibbering';)

Usually there is a tiny allen grub screw which holds the arm lift barrel in place. If loosened you should be able to adjust lift height and engagement with arm.

You've got it. OK, perhaps the extra washer is too much - I'll remove and tweak the height without worrying about that it's not screwed down as such.

Has cartridge been stored anywhere cool? Even a s/h cart needs to 'warm' up.

Well, there's no heating on during the day, but it's not that cold at the moment and it's been in the room on the cart since yesterday.

Well sounds like everything is ok, so sit back and enjoy the music!

Should be a big step up from a '95 e!

Found it :rolleyes:

The two part spindle assembly had become slightly loosened, causing the whole platter to become slightly unstable.

Lesson learnt. Check everything bloody carefully when reassembling a TT!

Excellent. You should play at max. weight for a new(ish) cart. or mistracking/miscueing may occur.

As aforementioned, setting bias from a non-grooved track is useless. If you become aware of stylus not lifting cleanly, esp. toward the inner grooves, re-adjust bias.

Excellent. You should play at max. weight for a new(ish) cart. or mistracking/miscueing may occur.

As aforementioned, setting bias from a non-grooved track is useless. If you become aware of stylus not lifting cleanly, esp. toward the inner grooves, re-adjust bias.

Hi Mike,

The manual for the 2M Black only gives one recommended weight (1.5g, rather than a range), and the cart has 50 hours use on it already anyway, but I'll note for future reference, thanks.

Not sure I understand why an ungrooved part of the record would not be the ideal way to check bias? Surely assessing what it does near the centre of the record when lifting will not give the best overall compromise (if that's what it is)?

This has been mentioned by others, but the bias (or 'tendency') of the stylus is to press on the inner wall of the groove during its rotation; something to do with physics, I believe. :).

Ergo, if there's no groove to press against, as on blank tracks, you can't get an accurate antiskate adjustment, as that smooth track, even if perfectly level with the cart., tends to over-accentuate the bias.

Like you, I thought the (Shure) test discs I had would offer good bias adjustment, but it never really worked convincingly with the top Linn cart. I had at the time, nor the Roksan which followed. I don't think this is crucial, as neither my present N.A. Dais bias adjustment has any measurements, nor did the early SME 3012 or Decca International (bent wire and string !) I had in the sixties.

Vital, Glad you are sorted.

And yes, turntable set up is paying attention to every last thing, fine detail and doing it very carefully.

After all you can't expect the best ever form of reply invented to be easy to set up! .....

nitrous..................Runs for cover:eek:

advertisement

Back