advertisement

Change to Naim?

I have the TTPSU with my Rega P3-24. Rega say that it may not actually make much difference although I have not tried it myself without...

To the OP if you are looking at second hand Naim gear then you can buy and sell on for pretty much what you paid for or even more if it is not for you. At the end of the day it is only your ears and feedback that counts.

Cyrus 1 is better than early Naits and about par with a Nait 3, so i'd keep it.

Cyrus 2 beats any vintage Nait, as does the later 3 but it doesn't have the excellent mm/mc phono stage of the Cyrus 2.

Put a PSX(R) on the 2&3 and you have an amplifier that will challenge any vintage Naim.

Robert I have to disagree.

A NAIT 1 or 2 is much more enjoyable than a Cyrus 1 or 2! I did the demo way back in the day.

To the OP get a NAIM NAC62/NAP140 and be amazed!

If you like the Cyrus 'house sound' then the Cyrus 2 is for you!
Try to have a serious listen to a Nait 3 before you jump that way. For some folk the smaller Naims sound a little lacking after protracted listening. If you can put up with the extra box the 62/140 suggestion is good - mind you quite shortly you may end up with a third box ;-)

Robert I have to disagree.

A NAIT 1 or 2 is much more enjoyable than a Cyrus 1 or 2! I did the demo way back in the day.

To the OP get a NAIM NAC62/NAP140 and be amazed!

I have to agree, I demmed a Nait 2 against a Cyrus 2 and even with the PSX I preferred the Naim. But then that was one of the Mission Cyrus amps, I believe that they were improved considerably later on.

JustJohn,

I have recently bought an old A&R A60 integrated, for £115, on the eBay. The amp has a famously warm sound, and a good phono amp, and is a discreet, nice looking flat box. I - who am slave to Naim since ages - would say that with less velvety speakers than the RS series by Rega (whose voicing is for me a total mystery, excessively smooth), it could be a nice experiment in other sounds at a reasonable cost.
Naim is good gear, anyway, most addictive, and you end up belonging to a closed circle that is mainly humored at from outside.
Cheers,
Massimo

I think it has a lot to do with the quality of your mains. If you have my crappy rural mains then any sort of PS that regenerates the mains into a proper 50hz sinewave makes a huge difference (which is my experience). But I can imagine that if you happen to have mains that is pretty good, i.e. a relatively close approximation of a 50hz sinewave already, then the benefit of such a supply would be much more limited.

What cartridge are you using in your P3? I always found Cyrus One a great little amp, if sounding a bit bass shy with CD or carts like Rega. A warmer sounding cartridge might do wonders. Nait 3 is a more organic sounding amp. Quite nice, but I doubt if it is worth the trouble in your situation. Nait Two is a completely different story.

Regards, Klyde

What cartridge are you using in your P3? I always found Cyrus One a great little amp, if sounding a bit bass shy with CD or carts like Rega. A warmer sounding cartridge might do wonders. Nait 3 is a more organic sounding amp. Quite nice, but I doubt if it is worth the trouble in your situation. Nait Two is a completely different story.

Regards, Klyde

An Ortofon 2M Blue. I bought it to replace a Denon DL110 when I was using a Cyrus 3. The Ortofon provided a much-needed kick to proceedings. But it's got a slightly bright balance, which the Cyrus 1 may be accentuating. I just want to turn it down a tad, no more. Oh, for tone controls! I may even try some different speaker cables (currently Chord Silverscreen – no silver in there, despite the name). A Nait 2 would be nice, but the daft prices on ebay are putting me right off.

advertisement

Back