advertisement

Change to Naim?

JustJohn

pfm Member
My current system is a pimped Rega P3-24, Cyrus 1 amp (one of the last made), and Rega RS1 speakers. I’m settled on the deck and speakers, but have been swapping amps recently, trying Rega, Denon, later Cyrus among others. I keep coming back to the Cyrus 1, though, mainly for its outstanding phono stage.

But there remains one itch I’ve yet to scratch: Naim. I’ve never heard any, but I get the feeling I might like it. However, I don’t have a lot of money to throw at this and I’m keen to keep it to a single box. So what might I expect from a Nait 3 and its phono cards? Better, worse, nothing in it, just different?

Thanks

Not sure about the Cyrus 1 but my friend who upgraded from Cyrus 2 to the Nait XS on his Harbeth C7ES3 was happy as a clam. Good luck in your audition.

Cyrus 1 is better than early Naits and about par with a Nait 3, so i'd keep it.

Cyrus 2 beats any vintage Nait, as does the later 3 but it doesn't have the excellent mm/mc phono stage of the Cyrus 2.

Put a PSX(R) on the 2&3 and you have an amplifier that will challenge any vintage Naim.

A Nait 2 would indeed be a good one to try, but not at the prices they currently fetch.

And an audition would be useful, but we're talking second-hand here; not always easy to achieve. Unless any Naimees in south London are willing to throw their doors open to me.

Cyrus 1 is better than early Naits and about par with a Nait 3, so i'd keep it.

Cyrus 2 beats any vintage Nait, as does the later 3 but it doesn't have the excellent mm/mc phono stage of the Cyrus 2.

Put a PSX(R) on the 2&3 and you have an amplifier that will challenge any vintage Naim.

Trust you to go and spoil things ;-). But you're dead right about the Cyrus 3's phono stage.

A Nait 2 would indeed be a good one to try, but not at the prices they currently fetch.

Used prices are absurd.
A competent little amplifier if 18w and limited input selection is ok.
Trouble is, the world is full of competent bigger (in terms of drive) amplifiers for less money.

Trust you to go and spoil things ;-)

Sorry about that :)

Find yourself a nice clean C2.

It is a late Cyrus 1, with the metal case and flip switch. The only thing I don't like about it is the stupid stepped volume control, which renders any fine adjustment impossible. I've read somewhere the late 1s are as good as the early 2s. So maybe a late 2 is the way to go?

Go for it, just try before you buy in case the presentation isn't to your taste. I agree, Nait 2/3 are silly proces, a 32/110 is less.

And an audition would be useful, but we're talking second-hand here; not always easy to achieve. Unless any Naimees in south London are willing to throw their doors open to me.

John - I have a lot of time off work at the moment, and a Nait 2 (and a 72/Hicap/140) in my system, with Rega RS3s. None of this is for sale, but if you just want to compare and contrast with your Cyrus, I'm in Kingston - PM me if you like.

Tim

The Nait 3 used to be the bargain, but obviously we didn't keep quiet enough about it as it has now reached silly prices! A NAC92/NAP90 can be had for around the same as a Nait 3, usually a little less, just spotted the combo for £370 from a dealer who also has a Nait 3 priced at £395. £425 will get you a Nait 5, around £500 112/150*, 62/110, etc. combos come into play. There are lots of better options for dipping your toe into Naim around the same price as the Nait 3.

*although you would need a Stageline or other phonostage with this one.

JustJohn,

Naim has a particular musical approach that some people just cannot be without.

All equipment works in the context of a system, and so simple statements that A is better than B, in terms of similar quality and similarly priced equip., are generally questionable, even if sincerely made.

Tim Jones's offer looks really good.

The Rega turntables have always been well regarded, and recommended with Naim.

Bottom line: If you scratch the itch and then don't like where you end up you'll probably be able to recover your money.

Personally I'd look at a 42.5/110 or 140 - but that will be more than 199 ...and more than your preferred single box.

M

cyrus 1 and the nait 3 are really quite comparable in terms of sound id say (the cyrus i think pips it tbh). the nait 3 lacks the real naim signature sound imo, which the 1&2 do. but as these are stoopid money, and you're set on one box Id go up to a nait 5.. but, as will be ~same size as two 1/2 width naims why not a 42.5/140? id have any day over the good naits 1,2 or 5. prob cheaper too.

I have PMd Tim, though getting to Kingston of an evening is tricky.

Sooner or later that itch is going to get too much, but you're right, even if I hate it, I'm unlikely to lose much...

cyrus 1 and the nait 3 are really quite comparable in terms of sound id say (the cyrus i think pips it tbh). the nait 3 lacks the real naim signature sound imo, which the 1&2 do. but as these are stoopid money, and you're set on one box Id go up to a nait 5.. but, as will be ~same size as two 1/2 width naims why not a 42.5/140? id have any day over the good naits 1,2 or 5. prob cheaper too.

I like a minimal system. I even find the extra Rega TT PSU faintly annoying. But I have thought about at 42.5/110. If only it came in one box.

I like a minimal system. I even find the extra Rega TT PSU faintly annoying. But I have thought about at 42.5/110. If only it came in one box.
i know exactly what you mean. i find added tt psu's, mm/mc phono boxes really annoying, and as for 2 monoblocks.. but, as naim shoebox 1/2widths are so small budging two next to doesnt look/seem excessive like silly little phono box thingies do!

advertisement

Back