advertisement

Change of turntable ahead…

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Having become more involved in vinyl replay recently I have decided to try another deck. My aim was to get a decent, well regarded base deck with a more adjustable arm. I have settled on trialling a refurbished Systemdek Transcription with a Project Carbon 9cc arm. It should elevate my listening pleasure and give scope for future cartridge changes etc. in the future. Having received my new Tisbury phono pre amp recently, I’m excited to listen and hear what it brings to the party. I’m crossing fingers that it does make the difference I wish it to…

That's the only Systemdek turntable I have not heard.
I‘ve read some favourable feedback and it appears very good vfm. It also includes an Ortofon 520 with a new stylus so feeling very optimistic that it will take my playback to a new level.

If you don't want to lose as much money as with the Alva, I would recommend sticking with brands like Rega or Linn. So for a significant leap in quality Rega P6/P8 or LP12.

I would give up the Ortofon 520 and go for Exact/Ania (with Rega) or VM95ML with LP12.

If you don't want to lose as much money as with the Alva, I would recommend sticking with brands like Rega or Linn. So for a significant leap in quality Rega P6/P8 or LP12.

I would give up the Ortofon 520 and go for Exact/Ania (with Rega) or VM95ML with LP12.
I’m not keen on Rega nor the Linn but I do have the ML Cart. I bought the Alva at a much lower price so not losing much really. It’s also a very nice turntable.

Never listened to it, but it has great reviews.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Thank you but I’m not really interested in Rega or Linn. I know they have their dedicated followers but they didn’t really engage me when I listened to them. The Regas have a quick and etched delivery that I’m not keen on and the Linn is good but overpriced I feel. I did enjoy the Thorens I recently had with its vintage cartridge. I like vintage And finds there are gems in the less heralded brands.

Never listened to it, but it has great reviews.

I had a Clearaudio at one point. Sounded nearer to cd, almost antiseptic. The fact that none of these tables engaged me has led me down this road. Perhaps it was the acrylic.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I‘m always after a particular sound and need to explore to find it. Exploring vintage equipment excites me. I like the warm, resinous and burnished sound that comes from a lot of 70s classical recordings, Giulini’s Bruckner and Previn’s Rachmaninov typifying this. Or the full sound of Quartetto Italiano playing their Beethoven or Ravel. I like equipment that holds this sound in place. It’s so subjective the sound we crave.

Last edited:
I think the Well Tempered Simplex would be a good fit for your sonic requirements.

I’ve recommended Technics in the past but CD-like is a common complaint. I don’t really hear it, likely because of my cart and phono stage, but I understand the view. It does go round at the correct speed after all.

Also, I’d start a thread in Classic and explore Garrard, Thorens and Lenco for starters.

Not sure where you are but invite yourself to a fish or two.

I had a Clearaudio at one point. Sounded nearer cd, almost antiseptic. The fact that none of these tables engaged me has led me down this road.
Yeah, I agree with you, I have had the Emotion/Satisfy.
It sounded as a CD Player. Not for me.

The best sounding turntables I ever owned were:

1) Oracle Delphi MKII (magnificent);
2) Pink Triangle PT1/PT TOO (excellent but awkward to maintain);
3) Well tempered Amadeus (also excellent but spartan).
4) Rega P8 (excellent, nothing to say)

followed by:
Linn LP12 pre-cirkus
Wilson Benesch Circle
Rega P25
Rega P6/RP6
Technics SL1200
Garrard 401
Lenco GL75
Michell Gyro SE
Systemdek IIX 900
Rega P3
Thorens TD150/160
Funk Firm Vector
Clearaudio Emotion

In my opinion at the moment the best buy is the Rega P8/Ania.

Otherwise the evergreen Technics SL1200/1210.

If your idea is to get the Systemdek with Ortofon 510 then keep the Alva/VM95ML.

Yeah, I agree with you, I have had the Emotion/Satisfy.
It sounded as a CD Player. Not for me.

The best sounding turntables I ever owned were:

1) Oracle Delphi MKII (magnificent);
2) Pink Triangle PT1/PT TOO (excellent but awkward to maintain);
3) Well tempered Amadeus (also excellent but spartan).
4) Rega P8 (excellent, nothing to say)

followed by:
Linn LP12 pre-cirkus
Wilson Benesch Circle
Rega P25
Rega P6/RP6
Technics SL1200
Garrard 401
Lenco GL75
Michell Gyro SE
Systemdek IIX 900
Rega P3
Thorens TD150/160
Funk Firm Vector
Clearaudio Emotion

In my opinion at the moment the best buy is the Rega P8/Ania.

Otherwise the evergreen Technics SL1200/1210.

If your idea is to get the Systemdek with Ortofon 510 then keep the Alva/VM95ML.
That’s the Clearaudio I had. I may keep both and use one for an office system!

I‘m always after a particular sound and need to explore to find it. Exploring vintage equipment excites me. I like the warm, resinous and burnished sound that comes from a lot of 70s classical recordings, Giulini’s Bruckner and Previn’s Rachmaninov typifying this. Of the full sound of Quartetto Italiano playing their Beethoven or Ravel. I like equipment that holds this sound in place. It’s so subjective the sound we crave.
If you like the vintage sound then maybe a Garrard 401 or Lenco GL75 could be the right choice,
wishing to spend less, Technics SL1200/1210 or Thorens TD150 II.

I’ve looked at both, especially a nice GL75 which was out of reach sadly. Perhaps later. My FIL has a Technics 1500c which is built like a tank and nice sounding but the Alva is not too far away. My FIL was surprised by the quality of sound as he is with the Maggies.

If you like the vintage sound then maybe a Garrard 401 or Lenco GL75 could be the right choice,
wishing to spend less, Technics SL1200/1210 or Thorens TD150 II.

Just noticed that prices for SL1200/1210 are now crazy!
So, not recommended at this moment....
I bought mine about 5 years ago in perfect condition at £300.

I like the Thorens but I have a feeling that the Systemdek will be at least equivalent to this. I’ll soon find out!

advertisement

Back