advertisement

Change of cd player

This is sounding like a good call. How does it sound standalone please?
That's difficult, it feeds a technics gu700 which is a purely digital amp, so when I have tried the dac on the Rotel it converts it back to digital. Considering the price I'd be surprised if there was a better cd player. 30 day trial with RS, not much to lose.

Anything on the vintage market worth looking at?

I seriously recommend the (older) REGA pop-top model with the (later) WOLFSON WM8740 DAC chipset - not the earlier chipsets.

Ours is the 35TH ANNIVERSARY APOLLO SE model - pic below - and the sound quality is utterly superb!

Prior to the REGA, we were using the legendary SONY XA7ES CD-player. The REGA was like ten steps forward from the big SONY.

110236-1.webp

We also like the fact that there is no tray mechanism to wear out. You just pop the CDs into the submarine hatch, drop the top and away you go.... all very nautical. ☺️

Lastly, if you are in the UK, I really don't think you can beat the incredible REGA "forever" customer service. The REGA team fixes anything they have ever made - and most reports confirm that any later upgrades get thrown-in for good measure!

Just my 10-cents worth.

I seriously recommend the (older) REGA pop-top model with the (later) WOLFSON WM8740 DAC chipset - not the earlier chipsets.

Ours is the 35TH ANNIVERSARY APOLLO SE model - pic below - and the sound quality is utterly superb!

Prior to the REGA, we were using the legendary SONY XA7ES CD-player. The REGA was like ten steps forward from the big SONY.

110236-1.webp

We also like the fact that there is no tray mechanism to wear out. You just pop the CDs into the submarine hatch, drop the top and away you go.... all very nautical. ☺️

Lastly, if you are in the UK, I really don't think you can beat the incredible REGA "forever" customer service. The REGA team fixes anything they have ever made - and most reports confirm that any later upgrades get thrown-in for good measure!

Just my 10-cents worth.
Couldn’t agree more :)

Just plugged in my new Rotel. I love the simplicity of its looks and operation. Good weight to it and build is good. Long time since I’ve had a new cd player. I need to do some extensive listening but first impressions are great compared with trusty old 965BX. Definitely more mids detail and a soundstage at least as wide as the former. It’s really incredible how the budget sector has taken off. The quality for the money is striking.

I think I may be listening to more CDs again. I’ve always lingered around the budget sector, owning Marantz KI and some venerable NADs as well as the older Rotel. I must say that this is in a different league. I read a review that spoke of its ability to place you in the venue more effectively and this is very obvious in some chamber works. Very pleased and I must congratulate my wife for her choice. I don’t want to go to work now! Damn it!

Had a little more time with the Rotel. A fuller, generous and more detailed sound than the 965BX. Perhaps a little less depth but a great match for the Yamaha and Maggies. I got the silver version that doesn’t go with the Yamaha but I have plans….

advertisement

Back