advertisement

Change of cd player

Del monaco

Del Monaco
The display of my faithful old Rotel if fading away and I’m looking to replace it. I wondered weather the newish Rotel Tribute 11 would be a good change. Black Friday is revealing what seem to be good deals. My max budget is £300. Has anybody heard the Tribute and are there others to consider?

The display of my faithful old Rotel if fading away and I’m looking to replace it. I wondered weather the newish Rotel Tribute 11 would be a good change. Black Friday is revealing what seem to be good deals. My max budget is £300. Has anybody heard the Tribute and are there others to consider?

Del, exactly which model of ROTEL are you replacing?

marantz 6007 is a marvellous thing for the money , feels like it cost a lot more than 339 . the cd is easier to remove from the tray than the rotel . big display and lovely remote .
both are good . if you want something really cheap and rather good this is 85 quid which for a sacd player is rather good

marantz 6007 is a marvellous thing for the money , feels like it cost a lot more than 339 . the cd is easier to remove from the tray than the rotel . big display and lovely remote .
both are good . if you want something really cheap and rather good this is 85 quid which for a sacd player is rather good

Saw that thank you but I wanted to buy new this time. I thought about the Marantz but I found previous players quite bright so I was unsure.

strangely the guy who bought it loved it and it was at the wam show . i have had a sa8005 for years and its certainly not bright

i did listen to the rotel the other day and it was good but no better than marantz and that cd thing i mentioned irritated slightly . i really love ergonomics

strangely the guy who bought it loved it and it was at the wam show . i have had a sa8005 for years and its certainly not bright

i did listen to the rotel the other day and it was good but no better than marantz and that cd thing i mentioned irritated slightly . i really love ergonomics
My experience was with an older 63 KI SE. It was gifted to me but I never got on with it.

I can see NAD, Marantz, CA, Rotel and Denon players in this price range. I have a soft spot for NAD but the Marantz and Rotel look like they’re worth checking out.

I suspect the Tribute CD11 is a good bet.

The word "undigital" comes up in a review so it should be a rival to my old Denon DCD 860.

The old RCD-965bx always seemed a bit clattery and I was always aware it was a CD player even though it had a nice open soundstage.

I keep listening to the Denon and can't find anything digital to how it sounds at all.

Two contenders at this price level, imo

NAD C538 or Marantz CD6007. Were it my money I'd buy the Marantz. Some deals around, for example:

Ah’d definitely go for the Tribute. Bought one,a while ago and it does’n’t just burst VFM, it boots it out the park. It is a superb CD player. As ah said in another thread…no bells, no whistles, no extraneous, unnecessary, inputs, just clean, clear, excellent , unrestrained sound. It outplays its competition at the price level and several costing a fair bit more. Ye just lie back and welcome the massaging music…😎

Ah’d definitely go for the Tribute. Bought one,a while ago and it does’n’t just burst VFM, it boots it out the park. It is a superb CD player. As ah said in another thread…no bells, no whistles, no extraneous, unnecessary, inputs, just clean, clear, excellent , unrestrained sound. It outplays its competition at the price level and several costing a fair bit more. Ye just lie back and welcome the massaging music…😎
Sounds great. I do like Rotel as a company. I’m waiting to see if Black Friday drops the price for the Black version. It’s a BP from my wife.

Agree, I bought mine a couple of months ago from RS, at that time they were priced at £250.... ridiculous vfm. Build is decent and looks great (except for the remote which belies its price). I use mine as a transport only and it's rock solid.

Agree, I bought mine a couple of months ago from RS, at that time they were priced at £250.... ridiculous vfm. Build is decent and looks great (except for the remote which belies its price). I use mine as a transport only and it's rock solid.
This is sounding like a good call. How does it sound standalone please?

Is that something that could be repaired easily?
I have a 965BX which I purchased from new in the early 90's and if memory serves it was around the £300 mark.
On the odd occasion that I play a CD I use it as a transport into a Chord Qutest and it sounds great - the internal dac (as I'm sure you know) sounds none too shabby either.
I worry that with a similar budget at todays prices you may end up disappointed - I've nothing to base that on other than a gut feeling.

Is that something that could be repaired easily?
I have a 965BX which I purchased from new in the early 90's and if memory serves it was around the £300 mark.
On the odd occasion that I play a CD I use it as a transport into a Chord Qutest and it sounds great - the internal dac (as I'm sure you know) sounds none too shabby either.
I worry that with a similar budget at todays prices you may end up disappointed - I've nothing to base that on other than a gut feeling.
Yes.That’s always a concern but that is a concern with any change. I have a feeling that it may be difficult to repair due to its age. It’s a lovely player. It’s not perfect but it does a lot of things well. I’ve always liked Rotel and find their players honest, well built and soundly engineered. This one has lasted so long and so well. I prefer it to the Marantz CD 63 KI I had. I also like NAD.

Yes.That’s always a concern but that is a concern with any change. I have a feeling that it may be difficult to repair due to its age. It’s a lovely player. It’s not perfect but it does a lot of things well. I’ve always liked Rotel and find their players honest, well built and soundly engineered. This one has lasted so long and so well. I prefer it to the Marantz CD 63 KI I had. I also like NAD.
Mine has a sticky drawer but always opens with a bit of persuasion;)
Might be worth your while running it by @Mike P?

advertisement

Back