advertisement

Challenge plain-clothes officers, Met Police says

I hope she does report it to the police. The unnamed Met spokesperson in the story said they would like to talk to her about it. I hope the individuals concerned are traced and severely disciplined.

On the other hand I can well understand why someone who had this happen to her while grieving for a woman kidnapped, raped and murdered by a policeman is wary of engaging further with the police.

PRI_186376274-e1633003841515.jpg

Well she is sufficiently concerned to tell the BBC. I know nothing of Tinder but it seems there are photos. In the current climate, I doubt that the Police or IPOC would be so dismissive as you suggest nor do I think your being so defeatist does women any favours.
Hold on a minute. Your post, that I replied to, was dripping with the implication that she obviously wasn’t as concerned as she made out, else she’d have made a complaint. So I’m not buying your ‘this does women no favours’ line; based on our respective posts, I’m not the one ‘doing women no favours’.

What would be the basis of the complaint? And what force would she submit the complaint to (I'm assuming that even if self-identified as police, the specific force won't be mentioned)? And if you think 'this looks like deliberate intimidation' would be sufficient grounds, what do you imagine the police response would be likely to say? I'm imagining something like 'No offence identified; you join Tinder, you get approaches. Get over it', but couched more subtly, obvs.

If the officers were in uniform on a social media site, and misusing their position, there are clear guidelines under the conduct regulations for dealing with this.

So often the Police have carried these acts in public, their actions at Clapham against women were disgraceful. Not the publics fault that trust and respect of the Police has declined. Every body with half a brain knows the majority are decent blokes doing a good job.

Why have the Police allowed so many thugs into their ranks and under what authority are they allowed to treat the public in this manner. Difficult to trust Police,,, walk the other way and do not engage with them, even if you get thrown to the ground or have to take a punch or kick.

Thank goodness that people are having a look at what has existed for a long time.

The latent level of misogyny is obviously evident within the police & quite a few comments on here unfortunately. It will take decades for attitudes to change within the service as it appears less enlightened even than wider society.

Well, Dick will get axed but probably enjoy a nicer pay off as she’s recently extended her term. It really does stink.

She may have a point, but she's only saying it in order to be able to exert more overt political control over the Met (and, by extension, the rest of the police). We should be concerned.
To paraphrase various people ranging from Mises, to Tolkien, to Orwell, to Douglas Adams, 'not one in a million is fit to have any authority over others, and those who seek the opportunity least of all.' This applies equally to Police and Politicians.

Historically, the English regarded themselves as freer than the subjects of foreign tyrants because they rejected the notion of a Strong State (especially in contrast to the French Republics.) Civic Power was always understood to be strictly limited and to be exercised only with public consent. This may always have been a rather romantic idea, somewhat detached from the reality of various incarnations of the English and British state, but it is sad that it seems almost entirely detached from the current post-democratic politic and increasingly arbitrary attitudes and militaristic approaches of the Police.

She may have a point, but she's only saying it in order to be able to exert more overt political control over the Met (and, by extension, the rest of the police). We should be concerned.
I'd love to know what's actually going on. Patel and Dick seemed very simpatico over protests and the police bill. It's hard to imagine Patel getting much pushback on the authoritarian stuff she really cares about. It would be nice to think that she's just had enough - that the Met is just too awful even for the Home Office. I mean they really do seem completely out of control.

I was surprised by this but guess it's just Patel making sure the muck sticks elsewhere. Whatever comes of it I can't imagine Patel (or whoever BoJo replaces her with) improving Met behaviour.

Happy to see Philip Allott has finally resigned - though he apparently feels that he's the victim.

In an extraordinary meeting of North Yorkshire’s police, fire and crime panel on Thursday, Allott admitted making a “major mistake” in a “car-crash” radio interview but he refused repeatedly to resign despite a unanimous vote of no confidence from the 11-member panel.

However, three hours after the meeting he announced his intention to quit.

Allott had faced a growing chorus of criticism since his comments 13 days ago, including from Boris Johnson, Priti Patel and Keir Starmer. Demands for his resignation grew this week when colleagues accused him of making “sexist and misogynistic” comments to female staff – allegations that he denies.

The majority of his 32-strong team signed a letter urging him to quit, saying they were “shocked” and “dismayed” by his comments. They said his response to the criticism had been “dismissive and completely devoid of emotional intelligence or empathy, approaching disregard, for the human impact his words have had.”

Hours before resigning, Allott sought to downplay the criticism ... "I have to say if everyone resigned who makes a mistake in terms of an interview – and I accept it was a sensitive interview – nothing would ever get done in the country.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society...d-victim-blaming-refuses-resign-sarah-everard

Allott, like other professionals, should be media savvy. Sometimes it’s best to say nothing, unless it’s needed. We’ve seen recently several public figures that have had to back track after ill informed, insensitive comments.

Allott used to run a PR firm, I doubt it’s a lack of media savvy. The problem isn’t the awful messaging: that just follows naturally from the awful policy, which is to refuse responsibility and refuse reform. He’s got to say something and if it’s not “We’re deeply sorry and invite a statutory review” that something is going to be an insult to the public and to women in particular. Fair play to him for being so comically insulting that no one could possibly miss what the problem is here.

So often the Police have carried these acts in public, their actions at Clapham against women were disgraceful. Not the publics fault that trust and respect of the Police has declined. Every body with half a brain knows the majority are decent blokes doing a good job.

Why have the Police allowed so many thugs into their ranks and under what authority are they allowed to treat the public in this manner. Difficult to trust Police,,, walk the other way and do not engage with them, even if you get thrown to the ground or have to take a punch or kick.

Thank goodness that people are having a look at what has existed for a long time.

I think one of the problems is that it’s very difficult to convict as the police federation, or at least it used to, provide the best legal aid money can buy. This was brought home to me when one of my relatives who was retired from the Police force was helping run a police charity, he found a couple of other people, also police, siphoning money from it.He was very careful collecting the evidence as he knew it would be an uphill struggle to get a conviction but the barristers twisted and turned, delayed and twisted some more and after a few years of this the judge said too long had passed and dismissed the case!. If everyone tried had legal defense as good as those two got the prisons would be empty.

advertisement

Back