advertisement

Celestion Ditton 25 loudspeakers

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
Arguably the most 'marmite' of the vintage-era Celestions but for those curious to try a pair you probably won't find them in better nick than this. (No affiliation with the seller BTW).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26608647...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

s-l1600.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A mate of mine had those at Uni, but sensibly upgraded to a pair of Linn Kans. They look a lot better than they sound!

Still one of my favourites of the old Dittons and work far better than one might expect from a design that effectively has a 12” bass driver and three tweeters.

As to “upgrading” a pair to Kans - that must have been a shock!

They are the only Dittons of that era I’ve not heard. I’d expect them to be pretty good if a bit sucked in the mid as it is a big ask getting the ABR-loaded 12” bass to run up as high as the two lower range tweeters can reach down. That said I love those tweeters, I far prefer the first version Ditton 15 to the later one with a conventional dome, and the variation in the BC1 is world class to this day. As such conceptually the 25 is the top of a BC1 stuck on a Ditton 66 bass. If that works I can imagine loving it, though as I say I’d expect a recess around the presence region as they’d need to get about 2-4kHz out of the bass driver, and I can’t see that happening!

They are the only Dittons of that era I’ve not heard. I’d expect them to be pretty good if a bit sucked in the mid as it is a big ask getting the ABR-loaded 12” bass to run up as high as the two lower range tweeters can reach down. That said I love those tweeters, I far prefer the first version Ditton 15 to the later one with a conventional dome, and the variation in the BC1 is world class to this day. As such conceptually the 25 is the top of a BC1 stuck on a Ditton 66 bass. If that works I can imagine loving it, though as I say I’d expect a recess around the presence region as they’d need to get about 2-4kHz out of the bass driver, and I can’t see that happening!

I had the same assumption before I first heard them, but they're not actually as bad as you might think! Not on a par with the dome in the Ditton 66s, though, obviously.

advertisement

Back