advertisement

Celestion Ditton 10s

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Just rescued a pair of these from a scrap pile. They looked interesting from a distance and when I got them close up they turned out to be incredibly heavy for their size and extremely solid. Taking off the fronts there is a black plastic celestion tweeter like the one in the Ditton 15 and a small main driver with the rubber still intact. Whoever made them signed his name in pencil on the baffle and put the date...1966!
Can't wait to hook them up and hear how they sound.

I have a pair I bought a few years ago and use them in my bedroom. They are a great size for sitting on bookshelves etc.

By way of update I put them on ebay and they went for north of £200...staggering really!

By way of update I put them on ebay and they went for north of £200...staggering really!
Are they headed to the Far East? About 10 years ago I sold a pair of Ditton 15s to a bidder from Hong Kong for £200 having paid £50 for them a few weeks previously... he was delighted with them.

I recently listed a pair of Ditton 25 crossovers and a single Celestion HF2000 tweeter, both advertised for spares/repair, and they were both snapped up within hours by a Chinese buyer. I can't help but wonder what use they'll be to him?!...

Yes indeed. Taiwan to be precise. I always list with ebay GSP.
Funnily enough I picked up a pair of Ditton 15s for £30 this week and they will be ebay bound once I have applied the spit and polish, sorry, once I have expertly refurbished them! Its amazing what teak oil can do. They have original nice removeable fronts with a gold surround and a round recess at the back with the original little plastic knobs and a celestion information plate on each. They will look good to the right collector.

Have always wondered about the GSP. Was close to opting in a few years ago but was put off by the reports of packages getting mixed up, mislabelled, etc. So I continue to ship directly to overseas addresses using UPS, but it's become very expensive. More often now when a Far Eastern buyer purchases my eBay items they request I send to a freight forwarding address in the UK. I've yet to encounter an issue (touch wood!) but it's quite a nerve-wracking wait as the shipment can take up to a couple of months to reach its final destination.

Are they headed to the Far East? About 10 years ago I sold a pair of Ditton 15s to a bidder from Hong Kong for £200 having paid £50 for them a few weeks previously... He was delighted with them.

I recently listed a pair of Ditton 25 crossovers and a single Celestion HF2000 tweeter, both advertised for spares/repair, and they were both snapped up within hours by a Chinese buyer. I can't help but wonder what use they'll be to him?!...

I bought a pair of Ditton 10s ( with a non-working tweeter ) for £20, from our local TV shop. Repaired them and sold
them to someone in Taiwan.
I don’t recall what I sold them for, but I certainly made a profit.

From my experience GSP is cheap for the sender but a lot of prospective buyers don’t like the expense of it and request an alternative.

But I can’t be **sed and wait for another offer!

I have had a pair of the Ditton 10 studio series for over 30 years now. Listening to them now in my office system hooked up to a Rotel RCD965bx through a FiiO Taishan and Nobsound NS01g amp. Sounds perfectly fine nearfield.

advertisement

Back