advertisement

Celef Monitor Improved

To revive this thread, I managed to pick up a pair of Celef Monitors for not a lot of money.
I’ve restored the cabinets and fitted new capacitors to the crossovers as they must be old by now.
The B200s are dated 1975, so all the components are getting on a bit.
The tweeters are Peerless ones, much like the Audax replacement model sold by Falcon Acoustics.
I did think about ordering a pair, but they are nearly £50 each.
And they’re out of stock until November...
The Peerless tweeters appear to work OK, in spite of their age.
It will be interesting to hear the Monitors again.

I have the Audax tweeters in my monitors and have replaced voice coils in both over the last 6 months , I find them a nice easy listen once positioning has been sorted .

My first DIY speakers were B200 with Peerless tweeters, with a clone of the Celef Monitor x-over supplied by Wilmslow audio. Firstly went into some boxes I has which were from some Marsden Hall speakers I completely fried at a party when my Heathkit Germanium transistor amp went up in smoke. Rather boomy and horrible in the sort of reflex boxes, so my girlfriend's dad built me some beautiful plywood sealed boxes, much smaller for university digs use, with kick proof steel mesh grilles, and in there, they worked really well. Lasted me a couple of years and sold them to someone at uni who'd fallen for them big time, so was prepared to pay me enough for them to get me half way to a pair of LS3/5As, which were not, in reality, substantially better, except in the mid range and I was really into female vocals by then.

I have the Audax tweeters in my monitors and have replaced voice coils in both over the last 6 months, I find them a nice easy listen once positioning has been sorted .

I am going to try them with the Peerless tweeters first and possibly change them.
Wilmslow Audio have recommended some Monacor ones, which don’t need a crossover change.
They are circular, but will cover the opening where the Peerless tweeters are located.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back