advertisement

Celef monitor 1

I've owned 2 pairs of the RT-1's. Serial numbers 0011 and 12, and 021 and 022 as far as I recall. I think Stewart only made about a dozen pairs of these. ATC Studio bass unit, KEF large magnet B200 in an open backed section for midrange, and the Decca Kelly DK30 for treble. I still have one fully working pair. As well as all the component parts from the second pair. Properly balanced speakers. By far the best treble I have EVER heard, including ATCs, Sonus Faber and Focals. With one pair, at one point, I removed the crossovers, built an external active Elektor 3-way crossover, and used it with 3 sets of Leak valve amps (2x TL10, 2 x Stereo20), and also tried it with 2 pairs of Stereo20 valve amps and a Naim NAP160 for bass. Fantastic in all cases. This was in a 20ft square room. I now have huge ATC active SCM150ASLTs with Townshend Supertweeters but these particular Celefs gave me just as much clout, finesse and enjoyment for nearly 30 years.
Interesting that you hold them in such high esteem against a modern speaker ( just looked them up).
Please note i am a vintage speaker collector;)
Wonder if u still also have the valve amplifiers or are u now fully active etc?.
i obtained meridian m2 active speakers namely for the the tweeters as spares for my kef 105.1s and was shocked how good they were, and a tweeter in the central position...

advertisement

Back