advertisement

Celebrity hifi systems

I remember a magazine article about Sade, she was pictured in a nice room with ARC amps into Electrostatics

They recent film by/about George Michael featured a lot of Michell turntables mostly Gyros and the occasional Orbe.

Although I am not familiar with the film you are referring to, the selection of turntables makes sense as George lived with his parents in Radlett, not far from the old/original Radlett Audio store who, from memory, were big Michell enthusiasts who’s factory was only a stones throw from Radlett Audio

In the World of F1, Frank Dernie would be considered a celebrity.
He has a valve system with very large horn loudspeakers (possibly Tune Audio?) and is a consistent visitor to the enthusiasts' hifi show.

Earlier...
1334Frank_Dernie.jpg
Very late to the thread, but...

The picture was from before I knew Frank.

Frank has a full Goldmund system (turntable, amplification and speakers), the Tune Audio horns and the Devialet all in the same large room (no Sonus Faber speakers) and not surprisingly picks and chooses what to listen to.

Frank mainly posts on Audio Science Review (has a lot of HiFi technical knowledge as well as F1) nowadays, and used to post here, on Wigwam and Audio Abattoir if anyone wants to talk to him.

AQ (Audio Quarterly) published an interview with John Frusciante in 1999 featuring some photos of his hifi system, all placed on the floor, a Garrard 301 with a 12" tonearm in an odd looking high mass T shaped plinth, Marantz valve pre and some valve monos, I can't remember the details of all the components.
The interview IIRC was mainly about his recent releases of many solo Lps
I never has seen another T shaped plinth for a Garrard motor unit.

Hey, i am desperately searching for the reference of J. Frusciante valve mono that we can see on the photos published on the net in 99 as you said, do you have any ideas of the model's name ? Thanks

Hey, i am desperately searching for the reference of J. Frusciante valve mono that we can see on the photos published on the net in 99 as you said, do you have any ideas of the model's name ? Thanks

AFAIK they were early Marantz valve amps, Model 9 monos and a Model 7 pre(I think)

All Royal warranties awarded by the queen ended upon her death.
I’ve not seen it on Linn kit for a long time but the definitely had it in the LK era, and I think well into the Akurate/Klimax era… to be honest, I stopped taking much notice a long while ago. I’m most interested in their legacy gear (because I can afford it, listening to an active LK system with a Klimax front end now and couldn’t wish to change it).

Keep in mind that Roberts Radio also had a Royal Warrant. I've a pic someplace of a young QEII listening to her Roberts.

A very young Mr & Mrs Peter Fonda (pre Easy Rider) enjoy music together..... Quad amps. makes me feel better about my cable mess!

R to R looks like a Tandberg, tuner with the lovely vernier dial is an HH Scott, maybe a 350.

Scott 350 tuners are very nice indeed.

I really enjoyed that - what a lovely bloke. Thanks for posting.
agreed, very interesting read. Its interesting how often Steve has come up in this thread. I remember clearly a hifi mag (Hifi Answers or something like that?) in the late 70s, maybe early 80s that did a piece on Steve and his already large record collection. I can still see the Yamaha NS1000m in the photo, which was in part the reason why I knew I had to own a pair, now sadly sold on. Now I am wondering if that was a staged photoshoot :( It certainly seemed very genuine with 1000s of records behind him.

advertisement

Back