advertisement

CDS/CDPS & Nait-1 Ground Loop

rize

pfm Member
I have a CDS/CDPS that I like to use with a Nait-1. With gray 5 pin DIN to DIN I hear a loud hum from one channel, possibly a ground loop.

In CDPS I replaced a burned out orange cap and a transistor on the LM321 regulator card that powers the audio output circuits of CDS. I checked the solder connections and they looked shiny & clean.

I tried 3 different versions of grey 5-pin DIN-to-DIN cable.
The thinnest grey IC cable used with CDS, the writing on the label is worn off. NA-22 and NA-46. The hum was present with all three cables.

If I connect CDS to an integrated amp with RCA inputs there's no hum. If I connect Nait-1 to a CD player with RCA outputs there's no hum. Since I have no issues with DIN to RCA, will a 5 pin DIN to DIN cable with ground pin not connected solve the noise issue or make it worse?

Thank you for your comments.

Naim cd players connect the signal ground to mains ground. The Naits also connect signal to ground so there's your loop. I'll be able to advise further next week when I've got a CDS in the workshop.

Thank you for your reply. I had this problem almost a year ago, didn't understand where it came from. I haven't listened the CDS with Nait-1 in some time and assumed the noise from one channel would still be there but now it's gone. I hope it stays that way. Something has changed, maybe it's hearing loss :D

Happy New Year :)

advertisement

Back