advertisement

CD5X and NAC102/NAP180(Olive)

Should sound fantastic! Great amps. Would benefit from later addition of a HiCaps or other power-supplies.

Should be great.

I've had 72/Hi/180, really nice

Don't worry about mixing the differnt generations, Olive works with the new Black stuff as it does with Chrome Bumper era and vice versa.

First get a clone napsc, this is a big improvment vs cost
next hicap for pre + flatcap for cd or just enjoy, maybe dream for a service of the 180

Certainly works, though for similar money you could get a s/h CDX, which would be even better. Would come with a higher mileage though, so not all positive.

The power supply in the 180 is better than the 90/140 etc, so while there's a distinct improvement with a Hicap/clone, it's by no means essential.

I own a cdx (with xps) nac 102 and nap 180. I honestly recommend adding a hicap and a napsc! Huuuge improvement (I am using Teddycap plus which does both). Recapped both recently which has improved the sound even more. Couldn't be happier. I find it hard to stop listening at times.

I have only used "xps-less" CDX and now xps-ed CDX, Rockbox-installed Ipod and Naim Unity as sources and the quality of sound is defnitely limited by what you feed into the amps. 102 and 180 are capable of revealing any sonic subtleties that define the source. If you like CD5x you should be happy with that setup but don't expect them to improve too much if the CD5x does not float your boat to start with.

advertisement

Back