advertisement

CD5 Power Supply

rogerredhat

pfm Member
Trying to decide a routre to go down.

At present a Snaps/TPR powers my CD5,have used a Hicap as well.

Have found the Snaps gives more detail and rhythm,Hicap gives a more forward sound but a bit overblown.

Any views on a TPR4/Ryan Sound Lab in a Hicap/Snaps to a cd5?

My other though is upgrade the cd player and jump this step.

Thanks

Conventional wisdom at the time was that more than a Flatcap2 wasn't really worth the effort with the CD5. That's as far as I ever went with mine. Still have them though not hooked up to the system currently.

If I were in your position I'd be looking at the streaming route rather than upgrading a CD player, but I would certainly be more inclined to upgrade the player than the PSU, particularly since you've already tried a Hicap.

i regret that i have no experience to offer on the TPR4 question, but i'm curious to hear what others have to say on that front.

that said, i think i'd go for a CDX2 if i were in your shoes.

I have a CD5 with (originally) a FlatCap2. Kind of blah sounding. So I designed an upgrade regulator for the FlatCap and "voila" a miracle happened. The CD5 now sounds alive and very enjoyable. Not the CD5's fault. My suggestion may seem a bit self-serving, but you have nothing to lose by trying the RSL Power Supply (which just bypasses the FlatCap upgrade step - the regulator circuitry is identical and the transformers are about the same va rating). There's an RSL Pre/PS combo circulating in the UK now and you can get on the list for a listen in the pretty near future (two people ahead of you right now). it just plugs right into the same SNAIC cable to the CD5. There's also an RSL HiCap mod using the same regulator (but with the original HiCap transformer and caps) if you're a real DIYer. Won't sound quite up to the RSL PS though.

Even if you don't particularly want to change to the RSL PS after hearing it, you'll at least know how much the PS can change the sound of the CD player. I don't think you'll need a new player if you find the right PS for it.

Kit

I've used a CD5 with a Supercap, and let me tell you, the change was transformative-going from a warm fuzzy sounding player without external supply to a hypergonadic one with the SC-that came pretty close to the CDS2 I had next to it for comparison. The owner eventually replaced it with a CDX2, but I preferred the CD5/Supercap.

The CD5-Supercap was NOT out of its league when playing into the Wilson Watt7/Puppies.

There's a very simple internal mod that improves the CD3.5 or 5 no end.

I used a CD5 Flatcap2 for a while and enjoyed it very much. The dealer told me, very honestly, not to bother with a HiCap. I cashed the combo in eventually for a CDX2, which was a big improvement at the time, but for quite a bit more spend

There's a very simple internal mod that improves the CD3.5 or 5 no end.

Witch hat did this mod to my CD5 last year. It came back sounding a completely different player. Well worth the effort of sending away. I don't use a power supply now either. I won't be parting with it for a long time.

Regards Keith

MJS, can you elaborate on the internal mod for the CD5?

Hi kit,

See Martin Clark's acoustica site. There is a page on how to do the mod to a CD5. It involves lifting one end of a resistor or two and adding one resistor and one cap. It does indeed transform these players.

Stu

Hi kit,

See Martin Clark's acoustica site. There is a page on how to do the mod to a CD5. It involves lifting one end of a resistor or two and adding one resistor and one cap. It does indeed transform these players.

Stu

It does indeed. :)

Thanks for all the the replies all very interesting.

I lived with the hicap for quite sometime and only changed to the snaps recently.
I do miss some of what hicap gave ,hence the question.

What is the result on the sound in doing the mod ?

Does the power supply add anything after the mod ?

(I have a supercap on a 82, may be worth a try just to experiment)

Graham

Use the second socket on the supercap...that says "82only" and use the snaic to feed the cd5 while the other snaic feeds the 82...you may have to use a blanking plug to restore 82 to single snaic option. ..that should be very large improvement. Losing one snaic on the 82 is only a minor step down, while adding it to the CD5 is a giant step up. I did exactly the same thing with a 112/CD5 combo. It not only works....it works extremely well.

You can find far more details in the write up I did years ago here
http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/an-evening-of-upgrade-permutationsor-where-to-go-from-cd5112150

i have now have the supercap on th the cd5,what can I say, the result is outstanding.

This has transformed everything as Ron has said.

I decided to add a hicap to the second socket of the 82 (May take this out at a later date)

I now have an unbalanced set up which sounds very good to what it did before !!!!!

As expected. ..but DO try using the supercap to also power the 82..at the same time it is also powering the cd5..its got plenty of unused regulators in it. ..and a single snaic feed from a supercap is better than twin hicaps...I once compared a supercap powering both a 52 and a snaxo....way way better than trying a dedicated hicaps on the snaxo. I promise you will not be disappointed getting rid of the hicaps and using just the single supercap.

i have now have the supercap on th the cd5,what can I say, the result is outstanding.

This has transformed everything as Ron has said.

I decided to add a hicap to the second socket of the 82 (May take this out at a later date)

I now have an unbalanced set up which sounds very good to what it did before !!!!!

Nice to hear source first still rule

Tried a supercap on a 42.5 and a 102 into active DBL ....hugely better than the hicap I also tried at the same time..I also tried using 2 suoercaps on a 52 long time before dual supplies were in vogue for 555 etc

advertisement

Back