advertisement

CD5 Alternatives

Nickargenta

pfm Member
My ageing CD5 is turning into a grumpy old man and refuses to play discs more and more often. Before I box it up and send it to Naim for a service, it's occurred to me that given its age it would be worth auditioning some alternatives. The Rega Saturn and Apollo-R seem obvious candidates, but what else should I be listening to? The rest of the system is a Nait5, FC2 and Rega RS1s. I'm content with the sound (when there is any) so this is more a case of natural curiousity making me wonder how much things have been improved over the last few years. If it makes a difference, my listening tastes are all over the map. Budget would be up to £1.5K

Buying used would be an option, although it obviously makes auditioning rather difficult. Not looking to replace the front end with a streamer right now.

Nick

I can't remember if the CD5 can take an external PSU.

If it can I'd get a new mech and service from Naim and a Hicap.

I can't remember if the CD5 can take an external PSU.

If it can I'd get a new mech and service from Naim and a Hicap.

It does take a PSU - I have the Flatcap2 on both the CD5 and Nait5. I've read of people adding a Hicap to a CD5 and (from memory) the consensus seems to be that it's not a good match.

A service will make the grumpy old thing as good as new
The disc reading problem is more than likely only a dirty laser.

It might be worth listening to a few alternatives, but try to take your CD5 to the dealer listening session or get a home demo. The changes with a different CDP can be lost in a different system & listening room.

Not sure about Rega CDP's tho', I know people who were not so happy after changing from Naim. At first they both were full of it. But after not more than 2 years both have gone back - to network & hard disc players I hasten to add.

My ageing CD5 is turning into a grumpy old man and refuses to play discs more and more often. Before I box it up and send it to Naim for a service, it's occurred to me that given its age it would be worth auditioning some alternatives. The Rega Saturn and Apollo-R seem obvious candidates, but what else should I be listening to? The rest of the system is a Nait5, FC2 and Rega RS1s. I'm content with the sound (when there is any) so this is more a case of natural curiousity making me wonder how much things have been improved over the last few years. If it makes a difference, my listening tastes are all over the map. Budget would be up to £1.5K

Buying used would be an option, although it obviously makes auditioning rather difficult. Not looking to replace the front end with a streamer right now.

Nick

Try the new Rega Brio-R / Apollo-R combo

One hell of a nice combination and fine match for speakers
Affordable too so plenty of room inside budget

Bet the Brio-R will challenge the original Nait 5 which never was my cup.
My Brio-R replaced a 5i amp

Not sure if Apollo-R will match a serviced CD5/PSU probably not
Another upgrade could be look out for a higher spec Naim cd.

a service will cost you only 200-300 £. I heard a Rega Saturn in my system and is a great cd player, however Naim has it strenghts

Yes, it probably is the puck. Make sure you try a new puck before throwing money on a service. When I had a cd5 I started getting disc reading errors, but a new puck sorted it out completely.

Not worth trying an Apollo when you have a FC2.

Its a buyers market at present particularly for CD players . I recently sold my CDX2/ Teddy XPS
You should be able to resource the above within budget and its a fantastic cd player particularly with the teddy xps - detailed , dynamic and analogue sounding

Highly recommended

Thanks for all the responses. A new puck is obviously the place to start.

Interesting that there weren't many alternatives beyond Naim suggested. Perhaps CD replay hasn't moved forward as much as I thought.

Nick

Also, try cleaning the laser with a cleaning disc - one of those with a little brush attached to it. Check first that it is compatible with the slightly unusual Naim mechanism, though I don't see why it wouldn't be.

advertisement

Back