advertisement

CD Turntable Design

I personally think there is a place in the market for a naked cd player, ie a disc that is fully visual and open while it’s spinning.

There was a 47 Labs player years ago, but of course it was silly money. Possibly others too.

This is a nifty all in one that will bring a more affordable (for now at least) form of media back to the kids. I know my daughter would probably love one.

Yes, seen this earlier in the week but was unsure whether it could be considered 'hifi' or a gimmick.
There definitely is another brand of hifi that makes a small box CD player with just a puck on top, a top loader only without the lid. Acousticplan was the brand, though there's no longer a website. I think it was a CD Transport called the Drivemaster or something like that, GT Audio may have been the distributor for a time.

I like the idea of being able to see the disc spinning. Though the 'tonearm' on this design seems really gimmicky and unnecessary.

I'd worry about dust and stuff getting into the laser mech but Muji have been selling their all in one wall-mounted CD players for years so maybe it's not a problem.

IMO nothing more than cute… the exposed laser, the fragile arm, the absence of a proper display, and so on.

Apart from anything, isn't a naked laser somewhat contrary to modern elf and safety practices? Also the disc is label side down so there isn't a lot to see apart from the bit the laser is pointing at.

I hope this gets into production, its an interesting idea and deserves to IMO:

I had a CD 'turntable' many years ago, with matching toaster integrated and ceramic cube DAC.
Loved the looks but was otherwise crĂĄp...

EGQ83Vx.jpeg

I love top-loading CDPs because it's a few less components to go wrong (tray belts, mechs etc).

Knowing how temperamental old CD players are when the lasers get out of whack, the idea of someone or something giving that tonearm a good whack would leave me very nervous.

Lovely looking thing, though.

I personally think there is a place in the market for a naked cd player, ie a disc that is fully visual and open while it’s spinning.
Saw one once and could not believe how much the disc wobbled. Bought a Pioneer Stable platter CDP - it's a no-brainer! Used as a transport.

I think they are missing a thing by having the "tonearm" indicator starting at the outside and tracking inwards (like vinyls) and have forgotten that CDs start playing from the inside and work outwards.

or is it all a gimmick ?

advertisement

Back