advertisement

CD Transport

per flemming

Beeing a vinyl user my other sources are CD player and FM tuner
Can't imagine ever beeing a streaming user
I'm looking for upgrade cd replay with a better cd transport if possible.

Have been running a Rega DAC for some time now, fronted by an old Apollo used as cd transport only, I'm not sure if this is an optimized solution ?

Would a dedicated CD transport improve performance significantly ?
And what price range would be neccesary in this context ?

I have allmost zero experience with cd drives only, Cambridge have just launched A seperate one called CXC if memory serve. There seem to be some choices from Cyrus too, are these products reliable enough ?
Naim CD5xs & CDX2-2 are way too expensive and lots of wasted electronics so these are a no go, at least as transports only. However I do like these maschines as complete players but this is not the agenda here.

Any others to explore ?
Or should I just stay with my Apollo ?

I use a Chord digital cable and Naim amplication

Thanks for any suggestion

Stick with the Apollo. It's a great transport. You would need to spend quite a sum to better the Apollo and DAC. Spend your money on more music.

I think it depends on the dac to be honest. I had Micromega a few years ago and noticed the step up from player to transport to better transport. I now have a LG Bluray player which outputs 44.1kps and it sounds better than my old setup ever did (than a Saturn too) when using my dac.

Hi Per,
Richard Dane of Naim often suggests a certain older model of Meridian CD as an example of excellent transport. I can do some research to find out which one.

Ciao
Max

If you are only going to play CDs why not buy a CD player you won't have to worry about the quality of connection.
Keith

Hi Per,
Richard Dane of Naim often suggests a certain older model of Meridian CD as an example of excellent transport. I can do some research to find out which one.

Ciao
Max

Meridian 200, and it is very good, IMO.

How much better than what is already in use, though?

FWIW, I definitely wouldn't bother buying a brand new transport.

I tried a CXC. It's actually quite good, though my Meridian 598 was noticeably better. As you might expect, since it was feeding a Meridian 563 DAC.

I agree with i.j.russell - with a Rega DAC, staying with the Rega is probably the best solution.

Consensus opinion seems to be that the Rega Saturn r, outperforms the Apollo r/Rega DAC.
Was going to add the DAC to my Appolo R, but instead bit the bullet and got a Saturn r.
Didn't compare the above combinations, but the Saturn r is clearly better (more engaging) than my Apollo r (without external Rega DAC) was.
You could sell your DAC, and put the money towards the Saturn r.

There seem to be some choices from Cyrus too, are these products reliable enough ?

no they are not sadly . just read the cyrus forum

and check on rega cd player reliability too

leema , Marantz , msb, arcam are all very good and reliable

Hi Per,

Ciao
Max

Splendid idea Max
However very scarce up here, maybe a 500 ?
Or Maybe find a serviced 200 from UK, not sure about current support though.
Once I had a 506 complete player which was overall, slightly too polite for my likings

I too have often found Meridian players a little on the warm side, but perhaps a transport is a different thing..

M

There seem to be some choices from Cyrus too, are these products reliable enough ?

no they are not sadly . just read the cyrus forum

and check on rega cd player reliability too

leema , Marantz , msb, arcam are all very good and reliable

Thanks for info, didn't know there was such forum.

If you are only going to play CDs why not buy a CD player you won't have to worry about the quality of connection.
Keith

Keith, allready have the standalone Apollo player along with my old trusty CD3

In most cases I prefer Apollo/DAC against Apollo and my cd3 goes into a secondary office setup

My concern is how much better a dedicated cd transport will perform using it with Rega DAC, replacing the Apollo as transport only

The Cyrus CD transport issues relate to the earliest incarnations of their SE design as far as I can tell. Will remind long-standing Naim users of the unreliable puck/transports on the CDS and CDI....

The latest ones e.g. CDt are pretty flawless.

If you are seriously considering the vintage Meridian 200, might I suggest a Linn Karik 3 is also worthy of consideration.

If you are seriously considering the vintage Meridian 200, might I suggest a Linn Karik 3 is also worthy of consideration.

Chris, I will dust out my old Karik/numerik combo which hasn't been in use for years due to the clock connection between them are not working, making performance too unprecise.
Guess this will have zero impact into my Rega Dac, strange I haven't thought about using Karik myself😊 Thanks for reminder, just need to source a bnc/rca cable,.. off to Flashback

Just keep the Apollo as a transport. It has a software for read cd´s that´s very good and makes the difference for another audio transports. I too have the Rega DAC and for transport I got an Apollo R.

advertisement

Back