advertisement

CD storage

JemHayward

pfm Member
We now have about 1000 CDs that in reality we will never listen to again, but my wife hasn't quite accepted this, even though 99% of her listening is either Tidal, or LP. We have five IKEA racks of CDs, and in the hallway of our C14 cottage their 200cm height just fits... If we move them to the barn (where we do have a device that would play them) there isn't a wall that tall, so we need a cheap, rustic, rack system for CDs that is no more than 150cm tall. Anyone found anything (probably at IKEA) that would be suitable?

I use this stuff from Ikea:

14770296460_38d7fc264b_c.jpg

I can't remember what it is called, but some daft made-up Ikea word that may or may not begin with a 'B'. I like it as it is narrow so makes it possible to utilise space such as the upstairs landing (where this is). It actually improves the look of that rather dull and uninitersting space.

That looks very nice Tony, but for the OP have you thought of DIY or alternatively a local craftsman, maybe cheaper than you think if you don't go for anything too fancy.

Hi,

I had a similar problem - where to store ~850 x CDs in a dwelling where space was at a premium and SWMBO wanted every square millimetre of wall-space to hang her paintings...

The one area in which she was not interested as picture-hanging space was behind the door into the study - where there was a 170mm gap between the plane of the doorframe and the plane of the wall.

I gave up looking for some ready-built shelving and popped 'round to our local timber emporium armed with drawings and measurements and purchased the necessary - 16mm natural oak veneered chipboard for the shelves and uprights plus a sheet of 3mm hardboard for the rear panel - all pre-cut to size from the drawings. The shelf frame outline is more-or-less the same size as the door behind which it is situated (with a bit of vertical overlap due to shelf-height x number of shelves not quite giving the exact size required).

Then spent 2 days doing the edge-veneers and assembling using two cordless drills - one as a countersink drill and the other as a powered screwdriver.

The end-result:

CDRack_zps3mz9gdhj.jpg

The rack will hold around 870 x CDs on the closed shelves and there is some storage space on top for boxed sets.

SWMBO is happy that she has not had to "sacrifice" valuable picture-hanging wall-space and I'm happy to have the storage space reasonably close to hand.

Also, the cost was not prohibitive and, while the aesthetics are a wee bit "industrial", the natural oak matches the rest of the furniture & fittings in the study - mostly done on the same basis.

PS: I knocked-together an Excel worksheet to model the permutations of number of shelves and shelf useable width which then adds the other aspects from settings of useable shelf-height, shelf thickness, etc to generate the dimensions by component - very useful!

Don't forget that Tidal might not always exist. If they go out of business, what will you listen to that's CD quality (Qobuz is a good example of the instability of these services)?

And if you've ripped them they really ought to be kept as proof that you bought the music rather than stealing it.

I've just spent a load of time taking mine out of jewel cases and filing them into specifically designed poly sleeves. Allows you to retain the front and back covers and the inlay booklet. Reduces the space needed by about 75% and the weight by about 50%.

I used these, but others may be available:

http://shop.spacesavingsleeves.com/

Don't forget that Tidal might not always exist. If they go out of business, what will you listen to that's CD quality (Qobuz is a good example of the instability of these services)?

And if you've ripped them they really ought to be kept as proof that you bought the music rather than stealing it.

I've just spent a load of time taking mine out of jewel cases and filing them into specifically designed poly sleeves. Allows you to retain the front and back covers and the inlay booklet. Reduces the space needed by about 75% and the weight by about 50%.

I used these, but others may be available:

http://shop.spacesavingsleeves.com/

Nice solution - I think I'll try their DVD solution to start off with. Thanks for sharing!

Aric

I use old 100 cd spindles and an excel spreadsheet for the stuff I don't play often (ever). Write a number on it, rip it, log it, bin the case.

I gave up looking for some ready-built shelving and popped 'round to our local timber emporium armed with drawings and measurements and purchased the necessary - 16mm natural oak veneered chipboard for the shelves and uprights plus a sheet of 3mm hardboard for the rear panel ....

I took a broadly similar approach with contiboard from B&Q. 2.2m lengths form the sides, cut pieces to size for shelves, screws from side into shelf, hardboard for the back.

No need for veneer, as the only exposed chipboard is the top of the uprights, 2.2m up.

I use old 100 cd spindles and an excel spreadsheet for the stuff I don't play often (ever). Write a number on it, rip it, log it, bin the case.

Not something I'd recommend, especially if you were an early adopter of CD as many early masterings are already worth a lot of cash ('targets', red-face Polydors, blue-face Virgin, Japanese, Silver to centre WG etc etc). It reminds me very much of the mistakes folk made when vinyl became unfashionable in the late '80s. I'm currently buying CDs in great numbers just as I did with vinyl back then! Move in the opposite direction to the pack! Streaming is such an uncertain and potentially volatile future it would be crazy to bet on it.

Too deep for cd I'd have thought.

Yes, Billy shelves are too deep.

We already had a number of IKEA Bennos, and CD inserts for Billy shelves, so I bought myself a mega DeWalt circular saw and fine toothed blade (my wife calls it "The Beast") and cut a Billy down to "Benno" depth, then screwed them to each other and the wall. Added a shelf on the top to take big box sets.

160 cm wide x 202 tall = 1150 CDs. A reasonable packing density, but one can certainly do better. There's a Dutch company that does metal CD racks, which has a greater packing density, but at cost (from memory, around £500 for 1500 CDs.

We now have about 1000 CDs that in reality we will never listen to again, but my wife hasn't quite accepted this, even though 99% of her listening is either Tidal, or LP. We have five IKEA racks of CDs, and in the hallway of our C14 cottage their 200cm height just fits... If we move them to the barn (where we do have a device that would play them) there isn't a wall that tall, so we need a cheap, rustic, rack system for CDs that is no more than 150cm tall. Anyone found anything (probably at IKEA) that would be suitable?

Cut 0.5 metre off the base of each, and add a couple more, also cut to size?

I get the impression Ikea are moving away from CD storage. There appears to be only one specific CD storage cabinet, and in the media storage section, there aren't even the specific CD and DVD boxes there used to be.....

Not something I'd recommend, especially if you were an early adopter of CD as many early masterings are already worth a lot of cash ('targets', red-face Polydors, blue-face Virgin, Japanese, Silver to centre WG etc etc). It reminds me very much of the mistakes folk made when vinyl became unfashionable in the late '80s. I'm currently buying CDs in great numbers just as I did with vinyl back then! Move in the opposite direction to the pack! Streaming is such an uncertain and potentially volatile future it would be crazy to bet on it.

Sage advice and I couldn't agree more!

advertisement

Back