advertisement

CD Storage

boneman

pfm Member
Didn't really get anything about this when I ran a search. I have about 500 CD's that are stored in the loft in a cedar chest. The loft has a finished floor but is not temperature controlled at all. I'm sure it would be better to have them in a more controlled environment but that isn't possible at the moment. Is it safe to store them here? If not anyone have any ideas on how to make it better within the loft environment short of making it a finished room?

I find that if the environment isnt controlled you will end up with wavy backing inserts and liners going mouldy. Moisture humidity and temperature have all got to be taken into account.

My father thinks you can bung everything into a cold loft which is why I dont store anything there :)

Its not safe to store them there and if you value them you will bring them down to a room that doesnt get too hot/cold or have massive temperature swings.

I would not store them in the loft for the same reasons
Only empty boxes and things that cannot be hurt by very hot and very cold temp's

Ikea's Besta is good for CD storage:

14770296460_10c7ce0c73_o.jpg

I've stacked a few on the upstairs landing and feel it looks far better with CDs than it ever did empty. The shelving is narrow enough not to get in the way of anything and gives a nice shelf on top for ornaments / junk. CDs are nice things, display 'em with pride!

Ikea's Besta is good for CD storage:

14770296460_10c7ce0c73_o.jpg

I've stacked a few on the upstairs landing and feel it looks far better with CDs than it ever did empty. The shelving is narrow enough not to get in the way of anything and gives a nice shelf on top for ornaments / junk. CDs are nice things, display 'em with pride!

Tony, those look exactly like what the missus would like (the reason they went in the loft to begin with...)! Many thanks. I will be taking a trip this weekend methinks.

I counted the fullest single shelf (i.e. not a complete Besta) and got to 54, though three or four were CD singles, say around 50 standard cases.

advertisement

Back