advertisement

CD storage suggestions svp

Michael L

pfm Member
Muchachos

I have probably 5-600 CDs and the time has come to upgrade the storage ( not in a position to digitise )

What suggestions?

TIA

Mike

I've got the Ikea towers. They work pretty well because you can buy more as your collection expands. The downside is that you have to go to Ikea....

Another vote for the Ikea Benno. (looks good, cheap, holds a lot of CD's, takes little (floor)space)

Another option/what i did though, was swapping all my CD jewel-cases, for soft plastic sleeves, like these:
cd_hoesje_type1.jpg

(main reason for that was using a Squeezebox Touch as my main source, after ripping my CD's)
Now I have one relative small (the size of 2 half Ikea Benno's) solid oak cabinet, that can hold more than 800 CD's!

houten_cd_rek_top-front.JPG

I use clear poly envelopes in a zip case that hold about 180. Loads on ebay. Not the best quality but cheap enough to be chuckable after a couple of years.

Has anyone got a good bulk supplier of clear poly envelopes? I'll need several thousand.

malcolm

I have about 4,000 CDs on wall mounted chipboard shelves (the ones with the vertical metal slotted posts in to which shelf supporter slot). Definitely the most cost effective (the Habitat solution would cost me £2,000, mine cost about £300).

I've got about 14 wooden boxes, about 30cm deep and the width of a CD, that rest on 32cm deep shelves. There is a label on the end of each box with composer/composers, or the type of music (rock, R'n B, Motown, miscellaneous, etc.) This way I can find what I'm looking for pretty quickly without going blind while holding my head sideways. I can also pull each box right out and put it on the floor to look for a CD. Automatically, what I listen to most stays at the front of each box. This is for a total of about 300 CDs.
It wasn't really planned originally, but basically gradually "happened" as I used space that used to hold LPs (i.e. 30cm deep).

I solved similar problem with Sound Style cd revolving tower . Unfortunately they have stopped making them but I have seen a few on Ebay . I think that revolving towers are by far the most space saving way of storing CDs. There are many similar revolving towers but made of timber , available from US sites .

I like Ikea Boalt - they are £6 each new & hold 35 CDs each. I just bought them as i needed them.

I still have at least seven of them in the Garage since I went all 'puer-nerdy.

IKEA BOALT

Give them to me, I'll rip them all losslessly to hard drive, and provide you with two hard drives each containing a full set of all the music in maximum quality. It will take a few weeks to do, but it will solve your storage problem, ease migration of your collection to future formats, and probably sound better than spinning live from the CDs.

Well each to their own, but...

You mean 'to each, his own'. We do not belong to our possessions, and 'each' is singular, so your misquote suggests that each person belongs to things collectively owned by a group of other people. 'To each, his own', on the other hand, is the fundamental principle of all property law. Cheers!

advertisement

Back