advertisement

CD Server / Music Anywhere

nsnc

pfm Member
Hello All,

With an ever increasing CD collection, failing eyesight and the challenge of having to read small text on the spines of unattractive CD cases, time has come to review an alternate approach to the storage and replaying of my CD's.

Combine this with a desire to play music in different locations from a single source and you will understand the challenge I am facing.

I know nothing of this area at all. I read about things like separate DAC's - and whilst I know what it does, I do not know if I need one or otherwise.

Simply put I would like to have a centralised CD store/Server and a separate small device(S) (GUI Interface) that would allow me to select the CD I want to play and then I could play it say in my main living room or alternatively in a Summer Kitchen (What Summer in the UK, I hear you say).

Of course music quality is important therefore would like to store at the best density possible, however, budget is also to the fore.

So please could you help me unravel the maze this is currently presenting and propose a cost-effective solution of items/recommendations I will need, to fulfil the requirement?

As I do not understand what I will require it is difficult to quantify a budget - this exercise will hopefully help me quantify the cost as well as the items required.

Thank you for helping a lame novice to a new understanding.

Current System LP12/DYnavector Amplification/Densen Beat 400XS/ Obelisks

Best - NSNC

For music all around the house, simply then Sonos is excellent, for really high quality you might need to look at something else.
Keith.

Little point chasing anything more than 16/44 unless you change your speakers.

http://shahinianacoustics.com/

Power handling: 200W max

Frequency Response: -3dB/28-18,000 Hz

Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms.

Sensitivity: 89 dB

Dimensions: 15” x 13” x 30”

Finish: Oak, Walnut, Cherry, or Rosewood
Weight: 50 lbs.

I put a Logitech Squeezbox based system in my brother's flat (LR, Kitchen, 2 Bedrooms and bathroom) or you could look at Sonos as mentioned above.

You need a server/NAS to store all the music and a seperate streamer/amp/speakers in each room you want music. You should rip your music to FLAC or an equivalent lossless format and budget on 3 CDs/GB of storage.

You could also look at Spotify, which you can get on the SB system for £10/mth (don't know about Sonos) and gives you access to on-line music at 320kbs quality.

I would get a nas with at least 1tb of storage and start ripping those cd's - I use itunes as its free and works for me.

then to replay the tunes personally I would go with sonos any sevenoaks hifi shop will take you through what you will need - imo sonos seems the most robust and straight forward solution

Am thinking of one of these sono's systems. Whats the SQ like on them/ Do you have to have a pre/power in every room. I liked the look of the Linn one but thinki f i was going to go to that expense it would have to have green lights on somewhere ;)

sonos zone players can be connected to your exsiting hifi just as you would a cd player or you can take digital out into a dac. There is also the option of the zp120 zone player which has a 50 watt amp built in so just add speakers. They are very simple to set up and to add extra zones as you need.

I should point out that i don't have sonos myself but have friends who do - I use an apple tv and airport express, but will replace with sonos soon

advertisement

Back