advertisement

CD/SACD player/transport with balanced analogue XLR out and digital AES/EBU out.

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Can’t find any in audiophile territory (not looking in the £10k+ bracket where maybe Luxman, T+A, dCS reside).

Don’t really want bells and whistles coming in but the Technics G700 at least manages balanced out. The Shanling Et3 manages AES/EBU but doesn’t do SACD. The newly released Shanling SACD player doesn’t inspire me.

Is there anything in the pro field?

Denon? Marantz? Esoteric? Accuphase?

I don't have any SACDs myself but have been looking recently for a CD player and came across a few of the above.

You won' easily find one with AES/EBU outputs but you could use an Sp/Diff to AES/EBU transformer if needed.

If you're looking for something to front your new Genelec system then you can probably just connect the Sp/diff out to that system using a phono to XLR lead.

Either option would bring something like this into the equation.

Seems a bit of an odd thing to want though these days. I'm sure Genelec designed the system with PC/Mac and a pro audio soundcard in mind as the source.

Similarly why balanced analogue out? Your system will work perfectly well on a single ended input.

There is really no benefit to balanced transmission in a domestic environment.

Quite a few cd players with aes .but not huge amounts are sacd players .bryston bcd 3 has aes .simaudio players do

Thanks. I have a balanced pre and need its inputs before routing to the Genelecs.

The Denon, Marantz are more my budget but all single ended (and no AES/EBU, but as suggested, I can live with coax).

The SACD is quite important. I have a good few and can’t face them being just expensive CDs - the dual layer ones, the singles would be useless but I don’t have many of them.

If I could actually sell anything (not going near eBay again). I’d be very happy to streamline. I actually have the Denon 1600 and very nice it is too, apart from being off for repair with a sticky drawer.

PS I wish I’d bought Oppo 105/205 instead of 103/203 back in the day.

one of the best cd players to come on recently is the teac 701 ,no aes but worth a look at 2.5k . The new exposure cd player looks worth a look
I just bought a primare cd35 which is rather nice and well built and runs nice and quiet

If the Teac played SACDs I’d have already bought it.

There’s a second hand Esoteric PO-3 available at £3k but they stopped making the mechs last year so it could soon be a very expensive doorstop, and would probably break my shelf anyway.

That is a very pertinent point. I'm leaning towards the Technics, the limit of my budget. I will then be in full-on sales mode.

Considered ripping them? I use an Oppo 205 for the odd time I want to spin an SACD, 99% play them from rips on a NAS.

That is a very pertinent point. I'm leaning towards the Technics,
The primare has a teac cd drive and xlr analogue outputs .for the money it sounds delightful .very pleased with it using with a moon power amp and bc pre .lovely natural timbre and imaging .got of few sacds which it only plays the cd layer but still sounds good .has a good warrenty too ,as you mentioned many expensive ones are door stops if they go wrong

The primare has a teac cd drive and xlr analogue outputs .for the money it sounds delightful .very pleased with it using with a moon power amp and bc pre .lovely natural timbre and imaging .got of few sacds which it only plays the cd layer but still sounds good .has a good warrenty too ,as you mentioned many expensive ones are door stops if they go wrong
I have used various Primare CD players and amplification exclusively over the past 25 years. Superb in every way. Tank like builds and 100% reliability.

I had the Technics for quite some time. Good as a CD player, very good as SACD. Very nicely built. A bit fiddly to change the barious settings, but that's not necessary very often.

Even if you buy a top class SACD player, digital out will not be DSD (a restriction of the format by Sony). Mid range SACD players are thin on the ground. I have many SACDs and I got around the issue like this: I use a very good CD player via its balanced analogue out. To play SACDs I use a Sony Blu Ray player which does output DSD64 (SACD) over HDMI. It will also output 16/48 for redbook CDs. If you find a DAC that accepts DSD over HDMi then you're in business. I Use a Moon 390, but there are less costly options (I think Bryston, amongst others). It;'s an option at least.

Any particular reason why AES is preferred for normal SPDIF?
Not really, other than my dacs have spdif inputs, both taken, and one dac has an aes/ebu that isn’t.

I know I have too much stuff but I have active monitors and a passive valve system in the same place and don’t want to give up either.

had the Technics for quite some time. Good as a CD player, very good as SACD. Very nicely built
My plan would be to use the Technics as an SACD player analogue out and as a CD transport digital out.

I’d hook up a laptop and an SSD for fun but have other stuff for that. At least if the mech/laser died it would be useful for something. My other hope is that since Technics is quite newly relaunched they’d provide support for a while.

While the Denon’s away I’m using the Oppo 103 as a CD transport and it’s pretty decent. It’s not really in the Denon’s class as a straight SACD player unfortunately.

Simon, did you compare the Technics to similar players?

Thanks. I have a balanced pre and need its inputs before routing to the Genelecs.

The Denon, Marantz are more my budget but all single ended (and no AES/EBU, but as suggested, I can live with coax).

The SACD is quite important. I have a good few and can’t face them being just expensive CDs - the dual layer ones, the singles would be useless but I don’t have many of them.

If I could actually sell anything (not going near eBay again). I’d be very happy to streamline. I actually have the Denon 1600 and very nice it is too, apart from being off for repair with a sticky drawer.

PS I wish I’d bought Oppo 105/205 instead of 103/203 back in the day.
Used Linn Unidisk or an Electrocompaniet?

advertisement

Back