advertisement

Cd recorders and copying from a TT

Rodrat

pfm Member
Do cd recorders such as the Yamaha 1300 and 1500 allow direct copying to a cd or would a phono stage be required. If they do is there a cheaper option just to play around with.

You will need a phono stage or an amp with built in phono stage and "tape out". It's just like recording on to cassette really as far as how you go about it.

I used to have a Marantz recorder but you used to need special blank audio CDs to record onto but maybe this has changed now.

Special?

I used to record onto bog standard blank CDs using audacity on a laptop fed from the tape outs of my amp.

Special?

I used to record onto bog standard blank CDs using audacity on a laptop fed from the tape outs of my amp.

The early CD recorders made for a Hi-Fi system used blank discs that were in a slightly different format to the blank discs that were used in a computer drive. They were also, naturally, more expensive.

There was a trick you could use to allow computer discs to be used, from memory it involved moving the tray out a bit as the disc was loading. I could be wrong on exactly how it was done.

Yep you have to use "For Music" blank CD's. They were only a tiny bit more expensive than normal ones when I last bought some a couple of years ago for my Yamaha 1500. I wouldn't bother though cos it sounds shite compared to unadulterated vinyl straight from the needle...
I thought even copies made on cassette using top machines such as Nakamichi or Tandberg sounded better.. (chrome or metal, no Dolby) and I ain't a fan of cassette...

The early CD recorders made for a Hi-Fi system used blank discs that were in a slightly different format to the blank discs that were used in a computer drive. They were also, naturally, more expensive.

The theory was that this was to allow a 'tax' to be collected in exchange for permitting the copying of copyright material. But the UK never passed such a law. So people just got stuck with needing to buy 'audio' blanks. The round-the-houses solution was to buy a pack of audio CDRWs and record to them. Then quickly make transfer copies of them onto cheaper 'data' CDRs with your computer. Erase the CDRW and reuse.

I used to do the above, but long ago switched to using a USB ADC and computer. I still use my old Audio CDRW decks as CD players, though, as they are good as transports.

Yep you have to use "For Music" blank CD's.

... only if the machine demands it.

Consumer-grade machines (Marantz, Pioneer, etc.) did, professional-grade machines (Alesis, Tascam) did not.

To the OP - I would seriously consider a solid-state recorder in preference to a CDR one, IF the intended final result is to store the LPs as music files. But if you actually want them as CD copies ..... there's an Alesis Masterlink on UK eBay for around £150 at present. I've used these for years, so if you want a breakdown on their plus and minus points...

... only if the machine demands it.

Consumer-grade machines (Marantz, Pioneer, etc.) did, professional-grade machines (Alesis, Tascam) did not.

To the OP - I would seriously consider a solid-state recorder in preference to a CDR one, IF the intended final result is to store the LPs as music files. But if you actually want them as CD copies ..... there's an Alesis Masterlink on UK eBay for around £150 at present. I've used these for years, so if you want a breakdown on their plus and minus points...

My Yamaha CDR-HD1500 does demand it...

I've tried the above plus other ADC options but would not digitise my vinyl as the SQ losses are too great IMO.

Thanks for the replies. A bit more thought required.

So ... what are you actually looking to do? Create a CD library to mirror the vinyl, or create some kind of backup of the vinyl, whether that is on CD or files? Or ... something else?

Do cd recorders such as the Yamaha 1300 and 1500 allow direct copying to a cd or would a phono stage be required. If they do is there a cheaper option just to play around with.
I copied my whole vinyl collection from a Pioneer pdr609 recorder from a cheap TT, I would need to check what it was but it had a phono amp built in so no need for an amp for the recordings, they were direct copies from the TT to recorder, the result was spectacular, they sound stunningly good.
There is honestly no need to spend the amounts mentioned here, it's quite a simple thing to carry out.

Edit, it was a project TT, with the inbuilt phono.
It may sound like a cheap option but honestly, the recordings are first class.

Create CD's for the car.

On the presumption that most/all of what you have on vinyl is also available on CD, then wouldn't the simplest, cheapest and most time-productive method be to buy the equivalent CD?

Or is the material all from rare and out-of-print LPs?

I had a Pioneer one which was very good but is it honestly worth the effort nowadays when you have Spotify etc? Certainly not for me as I must have flogged mine at least ten years ago.

I have a Marantz professional machine and a large number of 2-4x CDRW discs which are NOS as the recorder doesn't like more modern discs. So I record on one of those and then copy to a regular disc in the laptop, then re-use the CDRW ad infinitum. To be fair, I don't use it all that much; life's too short, but the quality is superb.

advertisement

Back