advertisement

CD players - Audio Note 1.1x vs. Luxman D-05u

darkstarcrashes

pfm Member
I'm considering getting either a new Audio Note 1.1x Cd player or, for more or less the same price, a secondhand Luxman D-05u. I've heard the AN briefly in a dealer's demo room and was impressed, but haven't been able to audition the Luxman. So, I'm interested in peoples' views on the relative merits - reecognising that the Luxman, when new, is significantly more expensive. I mostly listen to classical chamber music, jazz, and as my username suggests, quite a lot of Grateful Dead.

Thanks in anticipation.

Haven't heard either, but have owned and listened to luxman hear over the years (not during the period of the mass market nadir some decades ago). To me, luxman gear always sounds really good. Clearly, Luxman really puts a lot of solid engineering and listening into their gear. Good luck!

I own that Lux, but only heard the AN once many years ago. Sound wise I can't compare them reliably. However the Lux is as good as it gets IMO, is engineered to last several generations, can be used as a DAC only, has a good remote and plays SACD's if you have any.
How do you describe the sound of a top CD player? Stereophile have tested its bigger brother, so try searching out that review and then taking off about 2% of the marks for sound? That was my thinking when I heard both before buying the 5. Mines now 11 yrs old, and still faultless.

I have the d-05u and I can't imagine things get much better. Previously owned a CEC TL51xr and an Arcam can't remember the model. It's miles ahead for me. Then again living in Japan it's priced reasonably here. Not heard audio note though.

Audio note uses a non oversampling dac chip so is sounds more analog.
I think that phrase ('more analogue') only had meaning back in the 80's and 90's when there was an old vs new battle (vinyl vs CD). Now, we've pretty much accepted that a good CD palyer doesn't mean one that screams it's digital source...it just sounds like 'music', just like a decent record deck does, but without any distortion.

advertisement

Back