advertisement

CD player upgrade?

Technically speaking, Dazzer is the same length as Darren.

Sorry, couldn't resist it :0) Personally, I like Naim CD players but if you want an analogue sound they're not going to cut it. The trick is finding players that are analogue sounding but not boring. For me the answer was the Rega Saturn-R.

I've had a Naim CD3.5, CDX/XPS and a CD5XS. Some had strengths and were fun but ultimately tiring. The Rega just plays music, makes every CD at least sound ok and you can listen to it all day. Perfect? Nope, but it has a way of drawing your attention away from them and into the music. Which is all I want to be honest.
The Saturn R is a really nice player, as was the original Saturn... I bought one when they were first released from Griffin Audio, shortly before acquiring a CD12, lovely player, if an irresistibly affordable CD12 hadn’t come up, I’d have kept it for much longer. The CD12 was a fair way ahead of the Saturn, it isn’t however a fair way ahead of an ISIS, the ISIS is staggeringly close... sound like the OP may save for an ISIS, and I definitely wouldn’t discourage him from that, one of the best players I’ve heard at any price.

Which one was it?

No idea of which model, it was over 20 years ago and I was only capable of listening for a few minutes due to it being so harsh sounding, an olive era CD player along with a Nait3r, it would of stripped enamel. Suffice to say this put me off Naim and I did own a CB Nait previously though it was only used with analogue source components, TT, radio and a tape deck.

No idea of which model, it was over 20 years ago and I was only capable of listening for a few minutes due to it being so harsh sounding, an olive era CD player along with a Nait3r, it would of stripped enamel. Suffice to say this put me off Naim and I did own a CB Nait previously though it was only used with analogue source components, TT, radio and a tape deck.
You either like their presentation or you don’t.I don’t have Naim anymore but remember hearing a Naim CD5i with a pair of ATC speakers in a store in the NE and being mesmerised by the sound.Such a forward solid image. It may have been fatiguing over time but bits initial impression was impressive. Personally I’d go for Rega or Creek, perhaps a Saturn with built in Dac.

Went from couple Marantz cd players to Naim 3.5 then cd5X. Then got and still have 8 or 9 years later, a Roksan Caspian M2 CD player. Much nicer presentation than the naims and more detail too, my end game cd player.

Thanks folks, the Rega Isis would be my top choice at present, I've owned CD players from Marantz, Rotel ( same as yours @Del monaco ) Creek and Meridian along with a few others in the past and while all very good players I wouldn't really want to go back to any of these brands for a CD player in my main system for varying reasons.

Coherent Systems have an ex-demo Oracle CD 250 CD/DAC/Pre within your budget.
Thanks, though not for me.
Audionote ? would come with a good after sales service as they keep spare transports etc.
I hadn't considered Audionote but will take a look at the range, reviews, etc.

While initially I was looking at the Luxman D-380 CD player I had forgot all about the Rega Isis, it really does tick all the boxes and I've always liked the few Rega CD players I've heard.

While initially I was looking at the Luxman D-380 CD player I had forgot all about the Rega Isis, it really does tick all the boxes and I've always liked the few Rega CD players I've heard.

I would love to buy an Isis but the problem is that I love the Saturn-R so much I'm afraid the Isis will be less enjoyable!

if you love the Saturn-R you would be in ecstasy with the Isis !

Yeah, maybe. We'll see. But...why change something you're not unhappy with? I like the Saturn-R. It's not just the best CD player I've ever owned it the most satisfying product, period! Seems rather silly to get rid of something you really like just because something else might be slightly better don't you think?

Yeah, maybe. We'll see. But...why change something you're not unhappy with? I like the Saturn-R. It's not just the best CD player I've ever owned it the most satisfying product, period! Seems rather silly to get rid of something you really like just because something else might be slightly better don't you think?
Honestly, I totally agree. If contented, stay there, it’s a good place to be... I’m feeling that way about my fettled Rega P5, it’s really impressing me right now... and I know it’s contrary to your train of thought but the cartridge has been the make or break. I had an Elys2 on there and really just couldn’t get on with it. I now have choice between a MK1 Apheta and an Ortofon Qunitet Blue... sounds fab, and surprisingly, I’m leaning towards the Quintet. It’s making me question the need to spend more... although I might treat it to an Arkless 651P current input Turbo phono stage!

PS, sorry to the OP for going off on a tangent... I do that a lot.:D

How does it perform as a Dac? Is it the same sound as the cd player?

Not really. It depends.

Fed by a Blue Ray player or the like it does not sound as good. Fed by an old Philips CD player it's close, but here's the weird thing.

If you use the Saturn-R as a transport feeding a Rega DAC is sounds better than the Saturn-R on its own! So I recon you can beat the Saturn with a Rega DAC and a talented transport.

There are some criteria I think...

The transport should be replaceable, and having a spare unit I think is mandatory for your 'last' CD player. This does help limit the options somewhat, and would be nervous buying vintage.

The other option of course is to use a CD transport / DAC combo, which massively opens up options, as you can then replace the transport for £100s or less, with the investment in the main DAC unit, of which modern good ones are pretty immune to jitter.

Vintage DACs need a very low jitter signal to get the best out of them, as they use PLLs that are of limited use at lower frequencies. Using jittery digital output isn't going to help here vs. plugging into a modern RME or Benchmark DAC, which won't really care.

Sorry, couldn't resist it :0) Personally, I like Naim CD players but if you want an analogue sound they're not going to cut it. The trick is finding players that are analogue sounding but not boring. For me the answer was the Rega Saturn-R.

I've had a Naim CD3.5, CDX/XPS and a CD5XS. Some had strengths and were fun but ultimately tiring. The Rega just plays music, makes every CD at least sound ok and you can listen to it all day. Perfect? Nope, but it has a way of drawing your attention away from them and into the music. Which is all I want to be honest.[/QUOTE]

I bought my CD5x because it sounded the most analogue out of all I tried. I certainly don't find it tiring. Different strokes and all that.........

I have two oldies that are still going strong.
Rotel CD 965bx and Arcam CD 8se.

Both are usually available secondhand for just above the ton or so.

The Rotel gives a big wide open sound while the Arcam gives a more intimate rendition. For rewarding listening the Arcam pips it but the Rotel just works on complex big progressive rock productions for example.

Luckily I have space for both in my rack!

advertisement

Back