advertisement

Cathal Coughlan RIP

Ye Gods!!
I have not looked but he can surely have been no great age?
I haven't heard of any new stuff from him for ages. Fatima Mansions was his high point for me.

Very sad. R.I.P.

edit - just read the actual link - just 61

That is unexpected and sad news. I really liked Microdisney. I’ve got We Hate You South African Bastards, Everybody Is Fantastic and The Clock Comes Down The Stairs on vinyl. Great stuff. It just sounded so fresh at the time. I found it via Peel. RIP.

I actually spun both these albums a couple of weeks ago. Still sound great!

One of the greatest songwriters ever, still making fantastic records right up to his death (check out his album as Telefis, released just very recently: https://telefis.bandcamp.com/album/a-haon)

The very definition of mordant. He'd been ill for some time but I don't think anybody outside his family and friends knew that. So long Cathal, you were one of the best.

Oh. One of those artists I have a few bits and pieces by.

I love "Only Losers..." and I had this on cassette single. Can't find it. :-(

A unique artist. RIP.

Sad news indeed. It took me quite some time to chew them, but once I did they became one of my favorite bands. I really like how their pop grew on me, a bit in the same way as Prefab Sprout (had the same problems to get along with their debut). They clicked with me around the time of Crooked Mile and I remember the day I purchased that vinyl at Oxford Circus HMV store. I've always hated that black shiny cover since it couldn't hide a single fingertip. I have no clue where's that record now but I'd love to give it a listen this evening especially that Spotify won't do it at these special moments.

RIP Cathal, you surely didn't know that your music made it to very remote, obscure lands but I'm sure it would make you proud.

He was able to distil his rage into pithy aphorisms: from the disgust at Thatcher's Britain of 'Harmony Time':

"If you want luncheon in your lap,
Knife your neighbour in the back -
If you don't do it somebody else will
"

to his mockery of the New Testament's feeding of the five thousand, in 'Genius':

"I am God. I bring you an instant picnic"

As if that wasn't enough, in the next breath, with the same intensity, he would deliver a tender, Scott Walker-style ballad.
Thanks, Cathal.

On great form here from a few years ago. Top sound quality too.

I’d forgotten just how good the lyrics were on that one. It should be the theme for Brexit. An amazing song.

PS It’s actually called ‘Past’, ‘The Clock Comes Down The Stairs’ is the album it comes from. It is on the TD-124 as I type.

Were often compared to early/mid era Steely Dan. Both for cleverness of lyrics and the melodies.

Very apt comparison.

Oh my god I can't believe this - I only bought the EP last week and emailed him about some vinyl reissues.....Gutted.

The 'Clock' album I had on my Walkman for my morning walk to work when I was 20 years old, played it to death.
The cassette version had some B-sides and EP tracks on the other side - It was extremely important record to me as it got me through some troubled times in my personal life.
For that, I will forever love Cathal Coughlan and Sean O'Hagan.....RIP.

Btw I highly recommend the latest record 'Song of Co-Aklan' and the download EP 'E.P. of Co-Aklan' (The title of course is taking the piss of the inability of some to pronounce his sir name:D)

Sad news indeed. It took me quite some time to chew them, but once I did they became one of my favorite bands. I really like how their pop grew on me, a bit in the same way as Prefab Sprout (had the same problems to get along with their debut). They clicked with me around the time of Crooked Mile and I remember the day I purchased that vinyl at Oxford Circus HMV store. I've always hated that black shiny cover since it couldn't hide a single fingertip. I have no clue where's that record now but I'd love to give it a listen this evening especially that Spotify won't do it at these special moments.

RIP Cathal, you surely didn't know that your music made it to very remote, obscure lands but I'm sure it would make you proud.
Both Crooked Mile and 39 Minutes were recently released digitally and on streaming platforms - They were certainly on Qobuz a week ago.

advertisement

Back