advertisement

Castle Kendals - worth repairing?

fran

pfm Member
I've acquired (for free) a set of castle kendals, earliers ones I think with 8"woofers. They look pretty OK, but the foams on the woofers are rotten.

Are they worth repairing? It seems like about £30 for a repair kit.....

Fran

The crossovers look good - pp caps and air inductors. Sounds coming from the tweeters ok so they're probably ok..

Anywhere cheap to get the surrounds?

Fran

We send our foam drivers back to Wembley Loudspeakers. All AR, JBL and Castle.
Tel: 0208 743 4567. They are not too expensive either and do an excellent job. Very neat.

FWIW, I've just finished doing the repair job on this. I bought a kit from www.speaker-repair.co.uk. Helpful fella there called Greg gave me some good tips to make sure the rest of the speaker was working Ok before spending money on the refoam.

Doing the refoam was handy enough really - I was expecting it to be worse. One thing I did do though was fir the foam behind the driver. Although not original, It made it a lot handier to centre the whole thing. I also cut off the dustcaps and used shims to avoid any danger of the voicecoil rubbing. The gap in these was tiny, the fine 160g paper shims only barely fit in. So I was worried that even the slightest bit off would mean rubbing.

Used pretty much exactly the technique you can find on the web, clothes pegs to hold the outer foam while the glue dries. As the glue dried I machine sanded the cabinets and have applied a few coats of wax to give a very nice clean satin look. I think this fits with the era nicely (1979 as far as I can tell). They certainly look a hell of a lot better now that the scratches and paint splodges are gone from the cabinets. I also washed the grilles and to my amazement they came up brand spanking new!! There was even birdsh1t on them and it came out AOK!!!

The speakers are playing on low volume just to let them bed in a little at the moment. I suppose they will need a bit of settling in time.... but they sound like they're working OK anyway.....

Fran

Yes, they are quite good, but better off axis rather than on. I think this might be due to the tweeter maybe not being the most brilliant ever. But very glad I fixed them up now!

Is it the tweeter with the squared TV screen shaped face plate? They are really crude sounding. I'd like a drop in replacement for my Tynes that I had
reconed several years back.

Yes - that's exactly what it looks like. The clue here is that cymbal crashes sound very splashy, no really brassy ringing type resonance at all. I'm sure hey could be easily bettered by almost anything today!!

Great learning experience though, and I'd give it a go on nearly anything now no probs.

Fran

yup the tweeters make everything sound the same. I think they must have been developed from a door buzzer or phone earpiece. I think Wilmslow can suggest replacements- a project for another day.

advertisement

Back