advertisement

Cashew nuts

matt j

pfm Member
I've just looked at the tiny 125g packet I've opened for a snack and it says 625 calories per 100g, is that right?! bloody hell. I can polish off endless amounts of Cashews, think I best knock them on the head because just like biscuits or anything else there is only one option and that is eating the whole packet.

‘A wonderful source of healthy fats’, crack on :)

688-BF6-E9-B80-A-4465-9-EF8-A491214-AEC9-C.png

Be careful what you eat as snacks! A small handful is great, a whole packet is nearly half a days intake if you’re calorie counting.

I've just looked at the tiny 125g packet I've opened for a snack and it says 625 calories per 100g, is that right?! bloody hell. I can polish off endless amounts of Cashews, think I best knock them on the head because just like biscuits or anything else there is only one option and that is eating the whole packet.
Yes it's about right. They are about 35% fat IIRC, so with fats and oils at at 9 cal/g, 100g of nuts contain 35g fat with 315 cals from fat. Sugars and starches are minimal, the rest will be protein at 4 cal/g. Water content minimal (say 10%) so 55g protein, x 4 cals, 220cals for cash. So without looking in the tables I make it 535 cals. Maybe they are higher in fat than I think, in which case 625 is not out of the way.

on wednesday i was clearing out substantial amounts of those peanut casings from a filthy gutter .... someone been feeding the squirrels with them i think as they were blocking it up

Be careful what you eat as snacks! A small handful is great, a whole packet is nearly half a days intake if you’re calorie counting.

But it's such a small packet, I'd rather not bother!

About right Steve, I think there's more carbs in them than I realised as well.

I think like anything else, once in a while, fine. Everyday, maybe not.

It's also down to how active you are. If you're labouring on a building site you'll need a higher calorie intake than if you work at a desk.

Andy

It is, and has always been, a question of portion control. Try decanting a portion into a small bowl and put the rest away. But if you're naturally svelte, don't worry about it.

I used to be a real salted nuts fiend, intentionally stopped because of high BP and very rarely have any still.
Cashews were a favourite, strange I should cease after moving to a cashew producing area!

Back then in a Thai hotel, they sold packets of it at the desk. I bought one, and without asking they fried them in hot oil before handing them out. Still lukewarm, oh they were yummy, best cashews I’ve ever had. I was 24 and thin, so it was ok.

Unroasted/unsalted cashews are still nice. Give them a try.
And if you eat a lot of almonds I believe you should eat without skins.

Back then in a Thai hotel, they sold packets of it at the desk. I bought one, and without asking they fried them in hot oil before handing them out. Still lukewarm, oh they were yummy, best cashews I’ve ever had. I was 24 and thin, so it was ok.
Frying is the normal treatment in the UK, even when the pack says "roasted" . I worked at the KP factory a few years ago. Dry roasted is a misnomer too. Filtering the oil for dry roast is a right palaver, it has to go through a cloth filter on rollers that then gets sent for recycling into animal feed, biodiesel or whatever. Great tubs of black gunge and filter cloths.

All nuts, even peanuts which aren't nuts, are around 40% fat.

Take a look at the fat content of avacardos as well.

I just had a look at a 140g packet of roasted cashews. That's an awful lot of nuts for a single snack sitting. One of those would last me four or five days of snacking.

I just had a look at a 140g packet of roasted cashews. That's an awful lot of nuts for a single snack sitting. One of those would last me four or five days of snacking.

It was 125g and the bag is tiny, it literally fits in your hand. Anything that comes in a packet only has one destination here and it isn't lasting 4-5 days!

advertisement

Back