advertisement

Case for Naim 5-series phono boards?

dan m

pfm Member
I seem to recall discussion a long time ago of a diy prefix or stageline that was essentially just a box to take pre-amp internal phono cards. Since I now have both a surplus Avondale SPX1 and NA523-S boards, could these be pressed into service with a suitable case with a simple pcb to hold the boards? I would have thought with a SPX1 driving only the cards it would be a pretty good phono stage.

The SPX is a power supply is it not ?

I would have thought that putting phono boards in a case with a psu would only result in unhappiness. Having them that close to a transformer will surely lead to hum especially if the spx uses an EI transformer.

Stu

Sorry, should have been more clear. The case would be to hold the boards and take power via a DIN cable a la the stageline/prefix. This would be the simplest of PCBs that has places for the vertical pins to hold the boards and connections for signal in/out and power. I believe with an SPX (functionally equivalent to a hicap) there would be two lines of plus voltage, so one could be used for each card (i.e., split L/R)

Les (Avondale) used to do such a case. He even had a motherboard which carried the card pins etc.

I recently built a MM/MC head amp using 3-series MM boards and 5-Series MC boards. I mounted the boards on compliant mounts (rubber bands essentially) and hard wired direct to the boards with some decent PTFE insulated cable. Built into a standard "Douk Audio" case off eBay. Added in a modified Supercap LM317 board to power them (only powers the set in use) and it works superbly.

advertisement

Back