advertisement

Carts to consider on an SME312?

Whaleblue

Southbound
Having settled into my system, and resisted messing for many months I think I fancy a little cart swapping.

The SME312 is on my CTC (Garrard) 301 and plays through my Leema Agena stage and Pyxis pre into active ATC 50s.

I like what the current cart (re-tipped Troika) does, just fancy a change.

To use the usual terrible adjectives that I can't think how to avoid :) - I like the fun/warm(ish) sound I'm currently getting, so a variation on those themes would be the way to go.

Not sure on budget - may have to experiment with used to better the Troika - but pointers on what to look out for would be great.

Nice system.
I use a SME turntable and SME V arm with a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II Moving Coil Cartridge. It sounds fantastic. However I don't know what your budget it so just a suggestion

look at anything by Koetsu Ian, however there is a black goldline on here for sale new, (for approx. £1100) , which IME gives you everything you are looking for .

look at anything by Koetsu Ian, however there is a black goldline on here for sale new, (for approx. £1100) , which IME gives you everything you are looking for .

I would second that, having lived with a Goldline Black for a few years; it took me up to a Urushi. This has a healthy output of 0.6 mV and is a lusty but warmly musical performer. Longevity is built in to Koetsus, too. However, whereas the Ks will be happy on an SME V (11 g eff. mass) or a massier arm, I don't know the eff. mass of your SME.

If your arm can take one (and most decent moving coils prefer at least medium mass arms), the Black will be a great alternative to your more neutral (and MUCH lower output) Troika. Lived with a Karma yonks ago, which is similar to the Troika.

The S version on the SME website says effective mass is 14g. I assume my (older model) arm would be about the same.

I like the Koetsu idea, for which thanks. I'd need to sell something first to afford that though! I could downgrade to a simpler stage (I bought the Agena when considering running two TTs - but decided to stick with one, so it's a little wasted on me). Anyway that would be a good excuse to box swap ;)

I'll also read up on that Sumiko, thanks - although far less familiar with it as a brand.

IF your arm is 14g eff. mass (I'd check vinyl engine or SME themselves on this one because it'll be worth knowing when shopping for coils) it'll be fine with Ks, Benzes (that's another one!) and others, but maybe not some VdH. The Benz Ebony is another slightly warmish but very expansive and airy cart. retailing at about £2200, therefore around £1000 used.

Think it's Emil who's selling the Black at round about half the r.r.p., which, for a brand new cart. (which I think it is), more or less guarantees years of use and just a few hundred depreciation. B.t.w., Ks like to see 100ohms, so check that your Agena has adequate loading facilities.

The S version on the SME website says effective mass is 14g. I assume my (older model) arm would be about the same.

The 312 has an aluminium armtube where the 312S is magnesium so I'd expect the effective mass of the 312 to be somewhat higher, maybe 16 to 18 grams at a guess.

The 312 has an aluminium armtube where the 312S is magnesium so I'd expect the effective mass of the 312 to be somewhat higher, maybe 16 to 18 grams at a guess.

Correct...or maybe a tad higher, around 20gms. I've got both the aluminium and magnesium versions of this arm. They aren't the same, and cartridges don't sound quite the same. Some of that will be to do with mass, some with the different metal used (magnesium sounds a little more 'damped' to my ears.)
My own feeling is that the older, aluminium, armtube suits cartridges like the Koetsus a bit better..they like the extra mass. But, as always. your mileage may vary.
If it were me, I would start by asking myself whether the most expensive cartridges are genuinely better. I have my doubts. System matching can matter more.

Correct...or maybe a tad higher, around 20gms. I've got both the aluminium and magnesium versions of this arm. They aren't the same, and cartridges don't sound quite the same. Some of that will be to do with mass, some with the different metal used (magnesium sounds a little more 'damped' to my ears.)
My own feeling is that the older, aluminium, armtube suits cartridges like the Koetsus a bit better..they like the extra mass. But, as always. your mileage may vary.
If it were me, I would start by asking myself whether the most expensive cartridges are genuinely better. I have my doubts. System matching can matter more.

Thanks, that's useful.

I contacted SME in the end, and they tell me the original "non-S" actually has an effective mass of 12g. No idea why/how/what contributes to this, but there we go!

advertisement

Back