advertisement

Cartridges Hana vs Rega for P6

A fully exposed cantilever is one of the reasons I feel somewhat uncomfortable with the Lyra Kleos...

I quite like carts like that. You can see the cantilever clearly so moving and positioning the stylus is easier. You're not guessing how far off the record surface it is, you know. Just avoid loose jumper sleeves and you're good.

I quite like carts like that. You can see the cantilever clearly so moving and positioning the stylus is easier. You're not guessing how far off the record surface it is, you know. Just avoid loose jumper sleeves and you're good.

Definitely easier to set up and cue accurately

I love my Hana ML on the P6.

I have not tried the Rega carts to compare but it replaced a Dynavector XX-2 - I prefer the Hana sound signature but both are great.
Did you use a shim?

I’m tempted just to go the hana mh route and stick with the exposure MM card, as of the three options it would be the cheapest.

Definitely easier to set up and cue accurately
In the context of conventional slotted mounts and gimballed arms, definitely. But on an ARO, there is no alignment adjustments and the extra plane of movement of a unipivot makes exposed cantilevers more vulnerable - to me anyway.

In the context of conventional slotted mounts and gimballed arms, definitely. But on an ARO, there is no alignment adjustments and the extra plane of movement of a unipivot makes exposed cantilevers more vulnerable - to me anyway.

Yes, a Unipivot, Hadcock IME, is more wobbly than a gimbal bearing, that I can work with, struggling to see the cantilever, not helped by having to wear readers, I find much more difficult.

Since installing a Tiger-Paw Elevator, I don't much care that I can't see the cantilever easily either. Its position relative to the body is close enough for cueing purposes.

Yes, a Unipivot, Hadcock IME, is more wobbly than a gimbal bearing, that I can work with, struggling to see the cantilever, not helped by having to wear readers, I find much more difficult.

And cantilevers are crazy thin. Nice alloy one, no problem but some of those boron jobs, my eyebrow hairs are thicker than that!

I found the best thing to do with the Aro is pinch the end of of the finger lift between your thumb and forefinger. You can hold it steady that way.

And cantilevers are crazy thin. Nice alloy one, no problem but some of those boron jobs, my eyebrow hairs are thicker than that!

I found the best thing to do with the Aro is pinch the end of of the finger lift between your thumb and forefinger. You can hold it steady that way.

Indeed, the cantilever in the little Shure V15v-mxr is vert difficult to see, I've never had an issue with the handling or set up, it's only in the past couple of years I've needed to wear reader's which I find immensely frustrating, only really available to focus at a certain distance.

.. in the past couple of years I've needed to wear reader's which I find immensely frustrating, only really available to focus at a certain distance.

I wear reading glasses too sometimes and I found that my prescription ones focus too far away for a lot of things, including reading! I saw a stack of cheap reading glasses, in Aldi or somewhere like that, and bought a few pairs that focus closer. Dirt cheap, £2.50 each or something like that. Work great, I use them far more than my prescription ones, and you don't worry about breaking them. In fact I've got pairs that have been taped and glued back together many times!

Don't let this guy loose with the cartridge!
Laurence-Llewelyn-Bowen-1257032.jpg

I'm using a Hana ML currently, having upgraded from an SL. I'm extremely happy, the ML delivers bundles more of the SL presentation - detailed but not forward, lovely sense of space and depth. If however you don't want to stretch to the ML, you will not be disappointed with the SL by any means; it's right up their at its price point.

It is about what you like though; sharp and detailed, warm and lush, or somewhere in the middle.

My M97XE Jico SAS cantilever makes my ML look like a scaffold pole! I reckon you could slide it down the inside of a DL103 cantilever without touching the sides.

Yeah @Mr Pig my readers are from Lidl, I found I can focus well on a cantilever or small print at approximately 12-18 inches, though either side of that things tend to blur, such is life .
Quite right @myles about both the sound characteristics of the ML and the diminutive size of the Shure cantilevers

If you had to choose, for the same money approximately I could do either of the following options:

1. continue to use the MM phono card in my exposure 3010S2D amp and buy hana MH

2. purchase the MC phono card for my amplifier and buy the hana SL

?

If you had to choose, for the same money approximately I could do either of the following options:

?
I'd go with 2. The Hana MH loses out to the Hana ML in terms of levels of finesse and subtlety so you're not getting the full value from your spend. If you go for the MC card, you'll get the full SL experience, and put yourself in a place where upgrade options are plentiful. If you don't get the MC card first, when you upgrade or replace the MH, you'd be limited to other high output coils (at that price, few and far between) or obliged to upgrade the card before replacing the cart anyway.

?

I'd hang off a bit longer use what I currently have until I had the funds for the ML and MC phono card of perhaps try a Rothwell head amp or a higher quality stand alone phono stage, thinking of longer term flexibility.

advertisement

Back