advertisement

Cartridge-Warming Lamp - Affordable Suggestions?

sonddek

Trade: SUPATRAC
As the title says, global cooling has got me wishing for a cartridge-warming standard lamp. Does anybody bother with these nowadays or do you all luxuriate in centrally-heated cribs?

What's stable, attractive and cheap?

It makes sense as the compliance of the cantilever mounting will change alarmingly with temperature (and atmospheric pollutants and many other reasons)

Been into Hifi for 50 years and have never heard of warming a cartridge. How did that happen? Is it really a thing? I don't think a magazine has commented on the idea so far as I remember..

Drat @davidsrsb beat me to it as I was typing! If you live in a hot country you'll of course put it all in a fridge?

LED's?? Do they run hot?

Yes, sort of.
Like all light sources, the VAST majority of the energy used appears as heat, but as LEDs are something around 10 times the efficacy of old-style GLS lamps, you only need one tenth the total power for the same light output, so they also produce one tenth the heat.

Yes it is. Never bothered myself but a clip-on spot-light next to the deck is something I remember seeing forty years ago.

I remember too, and used to use one for my LP12 in the early eighties. Trouble was, it could induce static in records in various meteorological conditions and it also illuminated the dust already there.

Oddly, I've recently bought a clip-on LED light to inspect my styli in situ (fixed headshell, unfortunately). About a track on an LP is enough to get the juices flowing in a m/coil (and possibly others) in reasonable ambient conditions, so hardly worth buying a lamp for specific cart. warming, I'd say.. However, if living in an unheated house within the Arctic Circle I'd suggest your starting point should be a blow-torch and De Falla's Ritual Fire Dance.

About a track on an LP is enough to get the juices flowing in a m/coil in reasonable ambient conditions, so hardly worth buying a lamp for specific cart.

That's why I've never bothered. Occasionally I'll let the deck play a side before I start listening but I usually don't bother. I just accept the ups and downs as part of life's rich tapestry ;0)

Yes, my listening room is hard to heat adequately. I'm aware that playing a few tracks is said to warm up the cartridge suspension somewhat, but I still wonder if it could do with some help as initially it can sound a little edgy. I do suspect that cantilever suspension temperature can have a significant effect on cartridge performance, and this isn't foo, it's an expected behaviour of flexible materials, even in space engineering, sadly. I agree that LED probably isn't much use whereas a traditional tungsten bulb a few inches from the headshell produces a noticeable warming effect.

When you consider how much fuss goes into phono-stage loading, VTA, effective mass et cetera, warming a cartridge to a suitable temperature seems like an obvious step.

These kinds of inconsistensies may be a contribution to the wildly different opinions we read of different cartridges' performance.

Electrical warming in the coils is totally insignificant.
There is a larger, but still small heating from the diamond dragging and the flexing of the cantilever on warps

Surely cartridges are designed to work in the temperature range of a typical listening room? Humans have a comparatively narrow range of ‘too hot’ vs ‘too cold’, so I’d have expected any half decent suspension material to be more than capable of spanning that range. I take it no one is listening outdoors in a desert or polar science lab, so it should just work!

That's why I've never bothered. Occasionally I'll let the deck play a side before I start listening but I usually don't bother. I just accept the ups and downs as part of life's rich tapestry ;0)
And, presumably, the side to sides, too. ;)

Surely cartridges are designed to work in the temperature range of a typical listening room? Humans have a comparatively narrow range of ‘too hot’ vs ‘too cold’, so I’d have expected any half decent suspension material to be more than capable of spanning that range. I take it no one is listening outdoors in a desert or polar science lab, so it should just work!

THIS ^^^

I’d actually go further and suggest that if a real preference is heard by either increasing or decreasing the temperature (i.e. likely softening or hardening the suspension material) then the arm/cart mass/compliance equation is maybe somewhere away from the ideal. A correctly matched system should be perfectly happy at ‘room’ temp.

Find your way to Leeds and I will give you a table lamp with a halogen bulb that will warm up your record deck on a cool day. I'm serious, got one in the study that is heading charity shop wards when I can be bothered.

Well there may well be a breed of slightly overweight single gentleman who live without the windows open in various rooms heated into the mid 20s (which is where cartridges like to operate) who are free to be cynical here! There is, in another world, also a good number of us, Who prefer a cooler room. My whole house for example never gets above 17 because that’s how I like it! However the cartridge is about 10°C too cool at that temperature and sounds much better when it’s warmed up. It’s all to do I think with the materials which keep the cantilever in place but it may be other things as well. In any case it certainly works here.

Underweight, cold loving, septuagenarian, signing off.

As the title says, global cooling has got me wishing for a cartridge-warming standard lamp. Does anybody bother with these nowadays or do you all luxuriate in centrally-heated cribs?

What's stable, attractive and cheap?
A joke, right? :)
Don’t tempt RA or any other belters :D
Now where is my purple Lumicolor fuse felt pen?

advertisement

Back