advertisement

Cartridge suggestions for Rega P2

moomaloo

pfm Member
Morning all,

I've just bought Malcolm's P2 through the PFM classifieds and am already wondering about recommendations for worthwhile upgrades to the supplied AT 95E cart that came with it (though I must say the little AT sounds much better than I expected). I'm looking at around the £100 mark maximum, though my set up is a strange one having hugely downgraded and reorganised my life (Arcam Solo into PMC FB1's - yes, I know...!) I'm using the basic Nad PP2 phono stage and I have no wish to change anything, just the cartridge. Maybe...

I also don't want to be fiddling around with spacers and the like, so I need a cart that will sit nicely on the RB250 with the correct VTA adjustment.

Any suggestions?

Hi Tim,

glad you got it OK. As you say the AT95e is a lively and involving cartridge and a bargain at £35 new.

I'm guessing that you want to stay with MM cartridges, although your budget would just about stretch to an MC. My personal favourite would be the Shure M97XE which is £100 delivered from Mantra Audio although I have seen dealers offering them at around £79 plus post on eBay. I was very fortunate and picked up a sealed one on eBay for under £50.

I'm sure other members have their own favourites.

malcolm

Rega's own Bias will have the correct VTA.
Will probably sound a bit more solid compared to the '95 but also a bit flat.

2nd the Bias. Rega MMs just work great on Rega arms. VTA is one of the reasons. They also sound dam good for the money and last a long time before a replacement is needed. I play allot of vinyl, in a 4 year span I'm only on my 2nd Exact. I use to eat 2 Linn cartridges a year.

Sorry Tim, I forgot to say that I'd avoid the Rega cartridges like the plague, why would you want a cartridge that "sounds a bit flat"?

Michell make a VTA adjuster and a finger locking nut which are available on eBay for about £25 the pair. I'd definitely recommend the nut (£8) so that the mounting is not over-torqued but the VTA adjuster only if your cartridge requires it.

In the past I've removed a Rega fitted Rega cartridge from a P2 and replaced it with an M97XE and the VTA was spot on,

malcolm

p.s. the AT95e also requires no alteration of VTA on the standard Rega set-up.

A friend just got a Shure M97XE from the USA for about £70 delivered 2 days later, duty paid. He loves it. There is also the Denon DL110 (£95ish, Phono Phono in Berlin) if your phono stage can cope with HOMC carts.

I had an AT110 in a P2, it never impressed me and it was reckoned to be better than an AT95. I wouldn't bother with a Rega cart.

either get a posh at95e replacement styli from the u.s of a. like a shibata tip of nude swept elliptical....or go for the rega super bias.
nothing wrong with the rega carts further up their range.
the base bias model can be a bit lumpy sounding.
because rega select the parts, as the further you go up the range of the rega carts the better and more accurate the sound....

The Rega carts have always worked well with their decks - funny that!

Doesn't seem that long ago that a 95E was a tenner.

Sorry Tim, I forgot to say that I'd avoid the Rega cartridges like the plague, why would you want a cartridge that "sounds a bit flat"?

Michell make a VTA adjuster and a finger locking nut which are available on eBay for about £25 the pair. I'd definitely recommend the nut (£8) so that the mounting is not over-torqued but the VTA adjuster only if your cartridge requires it.

In the past I've removed a Rega fitted Rega cartridge from a P2 and replaced it with an M97XE and the VTA was spot on,

malcolm

p.s. the AT95e also requires no alteration of VTA on the standard Rega set-up.

They dont sound flat. They sound like music.

Oh yes if you can get a Rega wall shelf for your P-2. Do it. Amazing platform for Regas. In my opinion mandatory to get the best out of this non suspended design. Had a friend that had a P-3/24 exact on a floor stand and was close do dishing it. RUBBLE RUBBLE. He got the rega wall shelf and never looked back. He has since moved up to the wicked sounding P-7.

I ran a Rega Elys and then an Elys 2 on a P2 then a P3. They seemed okay at the time, but the Denon DL110 wiped the floor with them in all areas and cost less money. If your phono stage has sufficient gain, the 110 is a bargain and works just fine on a Rega arm.

You can get HE & Shibata replacement styli for the 95E from LP gear USA apparently these are very well regarded & are supposed to up the performance of this cart

not sure about Jico with this cart but also worth investigating their standard /HE & SAS styli

I have played with many different cartridges on rega tts during the years and find other examples other then Rega's own, exaggerates certain aspects of the tables sound signature. Impressive at first but tiresome after long time exposure to this false detailing many cartridges exhibit on rega tt. Rega MMs time. Lush and liquid a rega will never be with this current arm, bearing ,plater, motor, plinth, compliant feet arrangement. In my opinion rega cartridges take advantage of what it dose well. Playing music without chasing you out of the room. To each his/her own.

Having the cartridge body machine as a hole with the head shell would make the choices quite simple ;) On this cartridge you can see what I mean. Mechanically would be the best option on the flagship RB-1000. Setting up a coil motor to be perfectly aligned for replacement would be a piece of cake with the sub micron CNC capabilities now. They are doing it with the body. Piratical it will never be.
http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/1206rega.jpg

The AT cart is excellent for the money. One of the truest bargains in this hobby IMO. I know you're not too interested in changing boxes, but assuming the cart is properly aligned and the table is properly set up and isolated...

The PP-2 is easily the weak link in your analog chain. It's competent, but not much more than that. It's slow, undynamic, and closed in sounding. It's not too quiet sounding either. I lived with one for 2 years and was satisfied with it, but barely. I think any cart you move to won't show it's potential won't be worth it.
There are a ton of better sounding phono stages for a little more money. Being across the pond, im not sure what's available at what price. If you were here, I'd recommend the Simaudio LP3. It's such a great sounding phono stage that's very flexible and extremely well built. I think its being discontinued, as it's about $350 or so, down from $500. If you don't have access to one, look into Music Direct. Not sure if they ship internationally, and what that would cost/entail.

Cambridge's second model up (640P?) is a good deal better than the PP-2 as well. So ate the Pro-Ject tube boxes. The entry level phono stage is good, but more different than upgrade IMO.

Does Arcam make a phono stage?

Just some good for thought. I'm not trying to bash the PP-2, just stating my experience with it.

The AT95e provides lots of bouncy fun on a Rega, but its big brother, the AT120e is a clear step up. In fact, I preferred the AT120e to the Denon DL110 through an MM stage: maybe not quite so refined and precise, but to my ears at least it provided bags more get up and go. It's great tracker, too. Costs around £70.

I also agree with Stu about the NAD. I'm not mad keen on the Cambridge stages, but I'd rather one them than the PP-2.

advertisement

Back