advertisement

Cartridge question

trio leo

pfm Member
Hi Guys,
Has any one had experience with the Ortofon Rohmann?

What would it be equal to?

Is it an old model?

Your comments please

regards Al

Used to be the top of their range (until a couple or 3 years ago) and very good actually.

I'm not sure if they still "officially" make them but new stock seems to keep appearing in various places, often at very attractive prices.

I once heard one; typical high-end Ortofon. Neutral, even, transparent but perhaps a little lacking in life and colour for some. Hard to say whether you would like it, it does split opinion, as Ortofons often do.I seem to remember an unusually low output too.If you have enough gain, a good deck, and the price is right (under £500) then it could be worth a punt. Certainly a high end cartridge and well- made too.

I once heard one; typical high-end Ortofon. Neutral, even, transparent but perhaps a little lacking in life and colour for some. Hard to say whether you would like it, it does split opinion, as Ortofons often do.I seem to remember an unusually low output too.If you have enough gain, a good deck, and the price is right (under £500) then it could be worth a punt. Certainly a high end cartridge and well- made too.

The Jubilee has been around for more than a decade. I agree with the above, and remember the output to be about 0.25 mV; not TOO low, but lowish, which could give a lacklustre impression with some phono stages.

My friend had one fitted to his Orbe/SMEV/Prefix and pxed it for a Helikon within weeks. It really was, as Paskinn suggests, lifeless (through high all-Naim amplification). Incidentally, for him (I already had a Helikon then) the Lyra was a revelation.

I had an MC 30 (or 3000?) a generation or more ago; again with a low output, and got rid of it soon afterward in favour of a Linn Karma; never looked back.

advertisement

Back