advertisement

Cartridge problem

unit

pfm Member
The stylus on my AT440mla is sticking out at a weird angle. Normally I would suspect one of my sons has been up to no good but the stylus is not bent at all - its just coming out at an angle. Have I just got a dud or has it been damaged?

Pics:

The stereo image is definitely skewed to one side. Is this the cause?

Looks bent rather than coming out at an angle, if you line up a bit of paper against the edge of the cantilever in the photo it looks bowed/bent.

You could try setting it up again using a protractor using the new angle to line up the cart but don't know if this will work if it is bent.

Take the stylus of and look at the other end with the magnets on. That should easily show if it's bent.

I had this on a new Denon once. It was replaced. A Linn K5 from years ago is the same but I don't know if it was always that way or I abused it.

yeah. i think i would have noticed if it came out of the box that way. i was hoping that it was a faulty suspension. Occam's razor says otherwise. 2 months old. Damn and blast

It could be the suspension tie-wire has come loose - it does happen. The cantilever looks straight unless it is bent right at the suspension rubber, which is impossible to tell from the photo.

mat

I have pretty much exactly the same issue on my 440MLa. I don't know exactly how it came about either. I put it down to boisterous handling when listening after the pub, although I'm usually pretty careful.

Maybe they are just a bit of a softy?

My AT440MLa went on its knees after only a couple of months of use. Same as Bluebeat13 I blamed myself although I didn't do anything nasty to her (its a she, isn't it).

After seeing this thread I think I will enforce a warranty.

Lovely cart though, fabulous really. Fantastic actually.

There's a thread, about this parish I believe, about the 440MLa riding low with a number of pictures to show it as such. Maybe this is the way it rides? Mine is on a Nima, reasonably light as far as arms go, and also rides low, so low that it seems as if it could ground at any moment. But it doesn't, and though the cantilever also seems to be cocked it still tracks perfectly, stereo is fine and I've now stopped myself from looking (particularly with magnifying glass!) and just listen and it still sounds great to me.

I bought an Ortofon vms30 mkII to replace it, expecting the full collapse to be imminent but it hasn't happened yet so I've stayed put. If I get time this week I'll take the 440MLa off and take some photos. Maybe the cantilever issue is inherent?

... rides low, so low that it seems as if it could ground at any moment.

There's a clear diference between riding low and landing on the record label at the end of the record or rim at the begining of it. Mine did that after 2 months.

advertisement

Back