advertisement

Cartridge Output Voltage vs. Phono Input Sensitivity Variance Tolerance

Not sure that is clear/accurate.

A *voltage* step up of 1:10 means an *impedance" step up of 1:100 as presented to the amp. Reverse that for what gets presented to the cart.

Follows from Energy Conservation. In practice you need to know both the cart's output impedance and the amp's input impedance to work out the details. But if we assume an amp with, say, a 47k input impedance and sensitivity of 5mV then using a a 1:10 perfect step-up transformer will present a loading of 470 Ohms with a sensitivity of 0.5mV to the cart.
That is correct Jim. I am not disputing the math. However, in practice with a valve/tube phono stage, when you transformer couple an MC cartridge via step-up transformer the AC load presented to the cartridge makes no difference to the sound whether it is 470ohm (1:10 ratio) or 117ohm (1:20 ratio) when presented by the 47K phono stage input impedance. It is the gain that is important to get right, not cartridge loading with a valve/tube phono stage. If people want to fit a resistor to the primary of the SUT then that is up to them but it seems a huge shame to fit a couple of resisters across the beautifully wound cartridge coils, not to mention what that will do to the sound. OK you don't have a choice when using a solid state phono stage, unless it is set for MM and you use an external SUT.

Not sure why you assumed any need to add esistor to the primary. Is that based on worrying about the change in any load capacitance? (This also, of course, gets transfomed by the transformer.)

Curiously, when I did some comparisons of the situation for MCs vs MMs taking transformers into account, the carts came out to be more similar that people might expect!
https://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/MagneticMyths/MMvsMC.html

Not sure why you assumed any need to add esistor to the primary. Is that based on worrying about the change in any load capacitance? (This also, of course, gets transfomed by the transformer.)

Curiously, when I did some comparisons of the situation for MCs vs MMs taking transformers into account, the carts came out to be more similar that people might expect!
https://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/MagneticMyths/MMvsMC.html
Because Jim, that is what people do to get exactly the "correct" load impedance to the cartridge. They solder a resistor of the desired load impedance to the SUT input transformer primary windings. Changing the 47K RIAA input resister which is connected to the secondary of the SUT, especially increasing the resistance to give a recommended reflected load has a detrimental effect to performance so should be kept at 47K or 50K ohms.

However, if an MM cartridge is being used you can go down to 33K or even 20K when using a Decca for example, if that gives a preferred sound.

Yes, that is what I gathered - just the best “regular” DL-103 that Denon could produce now. Bet that headshell has something to add to the performance.

Back to the OP’s original query - no reason it would not be a good match. If you like the 103, go for the anniversary version while you can still get it. Otherwise, there are now nice wooden replicas of said headshell on the ‘bay.

It is very nicely built - I have the first one (or one of the first two) Stan made.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Because Jim, that is what people do to get exactly the "correct" load impedance to the cartridge. They solder a resistor of the desired load impedance to the SUT input transformer primary windings. Changing the 47K RIAA input resister which is connected to the secondary of the SUT, especially increasing the resistance to give a recommended reflected load has a detrimental effect to performance so should be kept at 47K or 50K ohms.

That's weird as it wastes signal power, etc! Can you point me at some detailed examples that include measured details of performance, etc?

Presenting 40 Ohms from an amp with 47k input impedance implies using a SUT with a turns ratio of just under 35. So means the voltage will be stepped up by that amount. Assuming I just played the right tune on the buttons of my calc here. Lower ratio may make sense if needed to tweak the response curve but may reduce the available signal power. Choice also would depend on the details of the amp's noise generator values if you want optimum SNR rather than best upconversion of signal power.

Presenting 40 Ohms from an amp with 47k input impedance implies using a SUT with a turns ratio of just under 35. So means the voltage will be stepped up by that amount. Assuming I just played the right tune on the buttons of my calc here. Lower ratio may make sense if needed to tweak the response curve but may reduce the available signal power. Choice also would depend on the details of the amp's noise generator values if you want optimum SNR rather than best upconversion of signal power.
Rothwell have a lot of info on Denon carts and SUTs, they recommend using their MCL with 1:20, you lose a bit of output 4.5mV but the SNR is better.

Rothwell have a lot of info on Denon carts and SUTs, they recommend using their MCL with 1:20, you lose a bit of output 4.5mV but the SNR is better.

I'll look into what they claim and have a think about it. As it is, a quick read just shows a set of assertions which may or may not be reliable for the case. (Part of the problem is getting reliable data on the source, transformer, etc.) However the basic point to keep in mind is that the transformer/amp can't tell source noise from source signal. i.e. If you use a truly passive transformer any noise from the cart gets treated the same as signal. i.e. No change in the presented snr from the cart. Any *added* noise during transfer is due to transformer imperfections, etc. So their basic comment seems questionable.

FWIW Anyone who really wants to understand these matters I'd recommend to find and get a copy of Motchenbacher and Fitchen's book on Low Noise Electronic Design. Need to unearth my copy. Maybe do a page on this sometime that goes into more detail.

FWIW2 My interest in this was mainly driven initially by needing to make amps for signal detectors cooled to Liquid Helium temperatures! Looking for *very* tiny signals. Then transferred that approach to audio later. :)

That's weird as it wastes signal power, etc! Can you point me at some detailed examples that include measured details of performance, etc?
Absolutely Jim. That is just one of the reasons why I don't recommend doing it. Second point: Not without a lot of digging...

advertisement

Back