advertisement

Cartridge loading for Naim 523/1 S boards

They used those values cos thats what damped the hf peak best. Even into a Paradise 680r is the sweet spot for a troika.

I found 550ish to be the sweet spot for my Troika/Paradise. I thought you'd found similar in previous experience?

The first one came in two same sized black boxes; the power supply box having two DIN sockets, and the head-amp proper a pair of RCAs inputs plus ground, and two flying leads (one with DIN plug, the other with a pair of RCA output plugs on).

Now that I think more about it, the head-amp was model PNAG, and the power supply was the NAPS (predecessor to SNAPS, and commonly found powering NAC12 and 22 when used with NAP250).

There was also a battery powered single box unit called NAG (aka NAG-20) that was labelled as LINN PRE-AMP.

EDIT: Here we go, NAG, same sensitivity range, gain, and loading specs as PNAG. The ad this pic was taken from suggested NAG = Naim Audio Gain vs. PNAG = Power(ed?) Naim Audio Gain:
302979-2e615c69-linn_preamp_for_moving_coil_cartridges.jpg

Yep that's what I had/have somewhere. Bottom cover was missing and the coax had been cut down to about 4" and no plugs on the ends.... IIRC the PCB was encapsulated in grey epoxy. I don't recall seeing it for a long time and may have binned it in a "am I really ever going to have any use for this?" type clear out... or it could be in a box at the back of a cupboard under another box...

Well that seems to explain where the 470R came from. Looking at all the current phono amps from £100-250, they all have a resistance of 100 ohm for MC input, the Rego Phone does have trip switches that allow you to set it at 70,100, 150 and400 ohm. My ATOC9sh does say min 100 ohm so it would be good to get hold of a demo one and see what the effect is.

advertisement

Back